Vermont Castings Model RFSUV34 Vent Free Gas Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

swatcommander

Apr 1, 2015
Indianapolis
I recently bought this gas stove because it was a really good deal and to keep our kitchen warmer on those really cold winter days.

I plan to I enstall this stove in our kitchen. This will involve making a recessed depression in the wall made out of cement board, our garage is on the other side of this wall so the stove would actually be recessed into the garage area (see photo below.

Note: The photo of the stove with the gas line is my stove.

My question: Can I reduce my tolerances if I add a vent for fresh air to allow combustion to occur?

Attachments

• IMG_4783.jpg
    IMG_4783.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 193
  • 1793192_54f78f4166.jpg
    1793192_54f78f4166.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 183
Unless the install manual says that a fresh air kit will reduce specified clearance to combustibles (which I doubt), no.

The manual states that adequate ventilation, air must be provided. The flow of combustion and ventilation, air must not be obstructed.

My question wasn't reducing clearances to combustibles. I was reffering to adequate ventilation, air enough for combustion to occur within the space provided.

Sorry, I misread the original post. I guess I don't know what you mean by reducing your tolerances.
Normally I don't even answer threads with home-vented appliances, because I don't think they're safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.