Vermont Castings primary air issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bconvers9622

Nov 18, 2014
Boulder, CO
Hello all,
I have a Vermont Castings Intrepid II stove, model 1990. I got it brand new in 2008.

The main issue just came about tonight, and is somewhat urgent, as here in Colorado it's getting cold and snowy. I was giving the stove a good cleaning, vacuuming out the flue collar area, and checking the catalytic combuster. (It's in great shape). I had to remove the damper/thermostat housing, which houses the lever controlling the primary air flap. In simplest terms, the cord between the thermostat coil and primary air flap snapped. I've heard on other forums that it's somewhat common, as it's a linked-ball type cord. The stove is unusable, as the primary air is shut and cannot be held open.

What's the best quick fix until I can order the (unfortunately expensive) part? I can tie it back up with a cable, but the tension is hard to get.

Hope to hear from some of you soon
Cheers

a wrap of lightweight wire should work to splice the chain temporarily.

Status
Not open for further replies.