Vermont Castings Vigilant rebuild?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bone1099

Hearth Supporter
Jan 5, 2009
Northwest GA
I am rebuilding a Vermont Castings Vigilant I. Not the first cast stove i have rebuilt. Is the first vermont castings. single piece backplate was wrecked made a new two piece backplate from 5/8" plate. Searching for some kind of guide or manual for Vermont rebuilding and advice or tips from someone who has done this stove before or just knows about them. Also searching for products for rebuilding such as better brands of paint, cement, and other products used for this job. plus what is the purpose or benefit to stove polish is this an alternative to paint or just a treatment for paint. any input would be greatly apreciated. also does anyone have a 2 piece backplate kit for a VC Vigilant

When you rebuild from a 1 piece back to a 2 piece back, the sides and the damper are also different. VC sells a rebuild kit, but it is VERY expensive. It includes the sides, damper, tie rods, and a few other parts that are also slightly different than the originals. Did I understand correctly that you made your own 2 piece back from plate steel? Very cool if you did. I use Stove Bright paint and Rutland stove cement on stoves I've rebuilt. I've done a few of these Vigilant rebuilds over the last few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.