Very Basic question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chuck172

Minister of Fire
Apr 24, 2008
Sussex County, NJ
Low temp vs. High temp emitters
If I compare standard fintube vs. panel radiator emitters, Fintube may require say 160-180* hw, where panel radiators may require 120-140*.
Burning the same amount of wood, wouldn't both designs put out the same amount of total heat?
Fintube giving off higher heat-faster, Panel rads lower heat, slower.

Basically, yes. The big advantage to low-temp is being able to go longer between burns when utilizing storage. There is some efficiency to be gained in keeping your water temps generally lower, from reduced standby losses etc., and maybe increased heat transfer from your heating appliance to the heating water, but I think those are fairly minimal overall.

But I have fintube, and just yesterday ran my storage down to 130/110 before I burned. Actually doing that most days. So fintube can be effective at temps much lower than 160/180. You just would need more of it to compensate for the lower temps.

Along with Maple's comment regarding storage and low temp capable system design;
I'll add that allowing your boiler to "swing" over a wider temperature range is a better way to burn wood. This is because the longer burn times greatly reduce the amount of smoke from start stop cycles. Keep in mind that smoke is wasted fuel. It will also reduce creosote formation, reduce wood consumption and increase boiler and system efficiency.

This holds true to a certain extent even if you don't have storage. (every cordwood system should have storage IMHO)

fintube can run efficiently as low as 140 degrees. I actually prefer it because it allows it to run longer and is much more comfy. if you are running antifreeze you may need it a tad higher depending on how much.

Status
Not open for further replies.