Vinyl siding and Replacement windows

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seige101

Minister of Fire
Mar 25, 2008
Western MA
Decided i am going to bite the bullet and do new siding and windows this year.

I currently have cedar siding on an a-frame house, looking to put vinyl on.

My preferred contractor is proposing Alside prodigy dutch lap siding with integrated foam molded into the siding. My concern is the lack of insulation on the nailing fin as seen in the photo. Seems like insulation value is lost with this design. My original thought was the 3/4" foil faced foam behind normal (non insulated siding) That seems like it would be better for a thermal break and insulating properties. Is my thinking correct?

He is also proposing Alside windows, double hung triple pane low-e argon filled. These will be replacing old Anderson crank out casement windows.

Any experience with the Alside brand?

Thank you
2012-04-09 18.56.23.jpg

Though I can't comment much, I will be following this thread as I want to do the same to my house. Though I am thinking of doing myself, slowly, one wall at a time.

Will have to replace old, rotting T1-11 siding boards and install structural sheathing and vinyl siding.

I have been researching OSB sheathing vs plywood, and the glues and different types of foremaldehydes that will not off-gas too much.

Don't know if you will have to do new sheathing, but here is an article on wall insulation and moisture.

http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/how-risky-cold-osb-wall-sheathing

Put R board. The foam in the siding is nice to keep it more solid, but there is not much r value.

The space behind the siding is vented so it can dry outward. This means that the insulation value in the siding is (partially) defeated by wind washing. If you want more assembly R-value, and are redoing the windows (and I assume exterior window trim), go for the foam board.

The space behind the siding is vented so it can dry outward. This means that the insulation value in the siding is (partially) defeated by wind washing. If you want more assembly R-value, and are redoing the windows (and I assume exterior window trim), go for the foam board.

Going to be putting in new construction windows with integrated j-channel. My contractor suggested it because putting in replacement windows where the casements were would require padding out the sides and making the windows even smaller. I know there is a very good chance i will have to re-do the trim in the house but there is not that much, 7 single windows and 4 double windows. Re-doing the trim will also let me change from the dark dark 80's color to something more modern and lighter.

Thinking about going with regular siding and and foam board, going more for r-value. Unless there is a better reason no to. The walls are all ready 2x6 with r19 in them. Or do i even bother with r19 in the walls? adding fanfold insulation would add r1-perhaps r3

The walls are all ready 2x6 with r19 in them. Or do i even bother with r19 in the walls?

Not sure if it's already done in the walls, but when I built my place myself from the ground up, I was able to get R-22 for 2 X 6 stud space that was a high density special order product. (Owens Corning) It wasn't that much more. A vapor barrier on the warm side is important when adding foam board since moisture migrating through the wall will be trapped and condensate on the outer foam board.

For the walls, the thermal bridging by the studs matters....the wall is R-19 between the studs, but R-5 through the studs. The way it works out, you are R-15 or R-16 at best overall. An inch of foam (R-5) would bring you up to R-20 or so, or a reduction of 33%. A half inch would only drop the load 18%.

In terms of payback, your current load (per sq ft) is HDD*24/R-value = 5000*24/15 = 8000 BTU/sqft/yr. An inch of foam would save you about 2000 BTU/sqft/yr. For my 2200 sqft house, the stud walls less the windows and doors run ~1000 sqft, so you would save about 2 MMBTU, which is $40-80/yr depending on your heat source. A half inch of foam would save you half that much.

Make sure you get the airsealing done and a good housewrap when the siding is off.

Something I have seen on the new homes here is a thin foam between the studs and the sheathing,

You definitely want to add insulated sheathing prior to the siding. Did mine 2 years ago - added R-5 and stopped air intrusion by sealing seams with gorilla tape. That stuff is not going to do anything for air intrusion, which is generally the biggest issue.

If you use foil faced on parts of the house that get sun, it will buckle and warp the siding.

Status
Not open for further replies.