vogelzang 5770 too much heat on manual

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

chris hal

Feb 11, 2019
rochester,ny
I've had my pellet stove for years and never had any problems, but yesterday the stove being set on a manual setting of 1 was heating my house up to 85 degrees which normally on this setting would be around 68 degrees for the weather we are experiencing right now , not sure if it is the control board?

It's possible it could be the board. There are two boards, I believe the part with the buttons has the programming, and the lower part handles the power for the ignitor and motors.

Is it going through pellets a lot faster too? Does anything happen when you change heat ranges on the board?

I found this awhile ago in this forum. This should be what the auger is supposed to run at, for the different heat ranges. I would watch the auger motor with a stopwatch and see what it's really running at.

HR ON Off
1 1.8 sec 6 sec.
2 3.0 sec 4.5 sec
3 3.5 sec 3.0 sec
4 5.0 sec 3.0 sec
5 6.0 sec 3.0 sec

Also here is the test for the control board, which I've used several times on mine.

Control Board Test VG5770 and the VG 5790

Version 1.3

Press and hold the mode button and temp arrow up simultaneously for approximately 3 seconds.

A number (1.3) will appears in the display. This will tell you the version control board you have. Press any button to move to the next step. Follow the below procedure:

1. SEGMENT LIGHT DISPLAY. PRESS ANY BUTTONJ TO MOVE TO THE NEXT STEP.

2. 8. FLASHES FROM LEFT TO RIGHT ON THE DISPLAY TESTING DISPLAY LIGHTS. PRESS ANY BUTTON TO MOVE TO THE NEXT STEP.

3. THE BAR GRAPH LIGHTS WILL FLASH FROM THE BOTTOM TO THE TOP. THEN IT WILL SWITCH TO THE RED LED ABOVE POWER OVER TO GREEN ABOVE POWER. THE DEGREE PUTTONS WILL LIGHT UP WITH FARENHEIGHT FIRST THWEN CALSIUS. TSTAT THEN MANUAL WILL LIGHT UP THE LIGHTS WILL BLINK IN THIS ORDER UNTIL YOU MOVE TO THE NEXT STEP. PRESS ANY BUTTON TO CONTINUE.

4. TEST THE LIGHTS OF CONTROL PAD. ALL LED’s WILL LIGHT UP. THE DISPLAY WILL SHOW 8.8. PRESS ANY BUTTON TO MOVE TO THE NEXT.

5. S1 WILL APPEAR IN THE DISPLAY TO CHECK POWER BUTTON. PRESS POWER BUTTON TO MOVE TO THE NEXT STEP.

6. S2 WILL APPEAR IN THE DISPLAY TO CHECK MODE BUTTON. PRESS MODE BUTTON TO MOVE TO THE NEXT STEP.

7. S3 WILL APPEAR IN THE DISPLAY TO CHECK THE TEMPERATURE ARROW UP. PRESS THE TEMPERATURE ARROW UP TO MOVE TO THE NEXT STEP.

8. S4 WILL APPEAR IN THE DISPLAY TO CHECK THE TEMPERATURE ARROW DOWN. PRESS THE TEMPERATURE ARROW DOWN TO MOVE TO THE NEXT STEP.

9. S5 WILL APPEAR IN THE DISPLAY TO CELSIUS/FARENHEIGHT BUTTON. PRESS THIS BUTTON TO MOVE TO THE NEXT STEP.

10. DR APPEARS IN THE DISPLAY. YOU WILL HEAR THE EXHAUST BLOWER RAMPING WITH THE DOOR SHUT, ON SOLID WITH THE DOOR OPEN. NO LIGHTS. PRESS ANYU BUTTON TO MOVE TO THE NEXT STEP.

11. RF WILL APPEAR IN THE DISPLAY ONLY IF THE LOW LIMIT IS BYPASSED OR NOT IN THE PROPER OPEN POSISTION. IF THE DISPLAY IS BLANK, THE LOW LIMIT IS OPEN (GOOD) ANF THE BLOWER WILL NOT COME ON. TO TEST THE ROOM BLOWER IF THE LIMIT SWITCH IS GOOD, YOU WILL HAVE TO BYPASS THE LOW LIMIT AND RERUN THE TEST. PRESS ANY BUTTON TO MOVE TO THE NEXT STEP.

12. IG APPEARS IN THE DISPLAY. NO LIGHTS. THE IGNITER SHOULD GET HOT. PRESS ANY BUTTON TO CONTINUE. (WILL NOT LIGHT IF THE HIGHER TEMPERATURE HAS TRIPPED).

13. AU APPEARS IN THE DISPLAY. NO LIGHTS. THE AUGER WILL FEED PELLETS. PRESS ANY BUTTON TO CONTINUE. (IF AUGER DOES NOT TURN, CHECK HOPPER SWITCH).

14. THE DISPLAY WILL SHOW THE TEMPERATURE READ OUT OF THE THERMOSTAT WIRE. THIS SHOULD BE CLOSE TO THE AMBIENT ROOM TEMPERATURE. PRESS ANY BUTTON.

YOU HAVE NOW FINISHED THE TEST. THE DISPLAY WILL BE CLEAR WITH A RED LED LIT ABOVE THE POWER BUTTON.

Uses way more pellets than normal , but the board will still control the blower on all five settings, you can hear the motor speed up, I’ll try the test on the board tonight.
Thanks

Just wondering if you ever found the solution for this problem? I have had my stove for 3 years never had any issues and now Im using a bag of pellets every 15 hrs have my temp set to 61 but the stove is normally hovering around 75+. I did the test above everything passed, Im thinking I need a new control board the one thats in the stove not the one on the door.

Reactions: kevindale
Thermostat mode won’t shut the stove off. The lowest you can go is level 1. If that’s too hot for the house then all you can do is shut the stove off every once in awhile.

15 hours a bag seems pretty high. Depending on the brand, mine will go 25-30 hours on a bag on level 1.

Edit: I just caught the part about the control board on the door. 5770 (subject of this thread) does not have that, but the later 5790 does. 5790 is a higher BTU stove. Not sure how much higher without doing some looking later.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mt Bob
Just wondering if you ever found the solution for this problem? I have had my stove for 3 years never had any issues and now Im using a bag of pellets every 15 hrs have my temp set to 61 but the stove is normally hovering around 75+. I did the test above everything passed, Im thinking I need a new control board the one thats in the stove not the one on the door.
I was wondering the same thing, as I have the same issue, performed the test, everything checked good. But this thing is an INFERNO, does not seem to be on level 1, and using ALOT more pellets than Normal.

Has Anyone Solved this, Is this a Main Board Issue ?

Thanks

To answer this Question, If The PCB Controller test is ok, then Replace the Low Limit Switch, that is located by the Exhaust Blower, It Solved My Problem.

And The OEM Is an F134, A Replacement, more than likely will be an F140, But apparently mine went bad, as I Simply put my old 1 back in

I keep A Spare of Everything, except The Circuit Boards, Incase of a Failure in the middle of the Night, and had changed this last year, cheap parts...SMH

To answer this Question, If The PCB Controller test is ok, then Replace the Low Limit Switch, that is located by the Exhaust Blower, It Solved My Problem.

And The OEM Is an F134, A Replacement, more than likely will be an F140, But apparently mine went bad, as I Simply put my old 1 back in

I keep A Spare of Everything, except The Circuit Boards, Incase of a Failure in the middle of the Night, and had changed this last year, cheap parts...SMH
Hello

Is that low limit switch normally open or closed?