Vogelzang VG5790 trouble shooting help? Room Blower wont turnon?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Al-B

Im looking for some technical opinions or trouble shooting? My 5790 ran fine last season, Ive cleaned all ash areas and the stove starts fine...however the room blower (right side never turns on? it will eventually go to an E4 error) .

Ive checked the overheat disc and the reset button is in. That disc measures continuous short all the time.

Ive wired an ac cord right to the blower leads (Disconnected from harness) and the blower runs and if the firebox is active..the stove continues to run as if theres no problem.

The two wires that feed the blower from the harness always measure 120 Vac ?? however there must not be any current as it wont spin the blower up? Those same 2 wires always have 120Vac measured on them, even when the stove is off?

Do you guys think this control board is smoked? Ayone have a schematic for the pcb to trouble shoot? its a $350 board and has about $10 worth of parts on it.

Other suggestions?

E4 is ignite failure, or at least the stove thinks that. It sounds like your low limit thermodisc is bad, or just caked up with soot. It’s right next to the exhaust blower. Try cleaning it first. You can jumper the thermodisc wires temporarily to see if it will run, just beware if the fire goes out the pellets will keep feeding until the hopper is empty. The room blower might not go off either.

Mine uses the same control board. And the blower wires always measure 120v. I found it odd too, but I’m not that skilled in electronics.

Good call on the snap switch!
Except when the switch gets hot, it closes the connection. I had to put a jumper accross the wires to it and both blowers started immediately!

Its a 140 degree part, Im thinkin ill get a 120 or 130 so the room blower comes on faster..always seems like 10 mins until it starts...but that coulda been a bad switch from the start.

That should work. Mine gets iffy when it gets a couple years old, and too dirty. Should help eliminate false fire out errors. Should run longer to evacuate more warm air during shutdown. Only drawback I can see is if the fire really does go out, it might keep feeding pellets longer until it is cool enough to recognize the fire is out. Maybe try a 130 first.