Waiting to hear from the MESys Pellet Boiler customers...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here I am!!!!
I've been wondering where the other Maine Energy Systems Bosch Janfire owners are also. Was contacted by one and haven't heard anything else.
Well where do I begin?? Where would you like me to begin? Start sending questions and I'll try to give you an answer.
Our 4-Section Bosch Janfire unit was installed on November 18th. We have a 50+ gallon hot water storage tank and a 4 ton pellet bin alongside. Because we ordered 8 tons of pellets last May/June we have not had to use the bulk deliver feature yet. In about an hours time my wife and I moved a ton from the driveway to being stacked and stored in our basement. Not a lot of fun, but it really wasn't very hard or laborous. We used a slide to shoot the bags down to the basement.
The process of making the decision to purchasing, to waiting for delivery and then getting the installation completed had its highs and lows. A lot could be learned. Our installers came with a great attitude and we all knew there was a learning curve ahead of us. The system required some tweaking adjustments to maximize the heat output etc.
A key point is that our 4-Section Bosch Janfire is actually undersized for our home, but I assure you during the week of sub-zero and sub-freezing temperatures the unit kept the house plenty warm. Our oil boiler was very old, so we have no backup support, but didn't need it. See Dutch Dresser's blog link at the top of the MES homepage. I've got lots more to share, but have a VFW meeting that I must attend. If you have questions, please ask. I've heard there are some issues going on and we probably dealt with them also. I hope that I can help with someone's decision.

In mid-November we had a professional install Janfire/Bosch 6-section boiler. We live in Central Maine and had a qualified MES installer who has been awesome. If we hadn't had a dedicated pro who was willing to work really hard to perfect the install and settings we would have been sadly disappointed with this system. It is our single source of heat as we tossed the leaky old oil boiler to the curb. We have had a few bumps here and there, but have been satisfied with the performance.
This is our experience so far:
5 tons burned since Nov. 15 in a 2500 sq foot drafty farmhouse.
3 pellet deliveries at 2.75t each. I would estimate our bin holds 3-3.5 tons they had to cut it down to fit our ceiling height.
60 gallon hot water storage Top Performer indirect set to 135 dgrs= nice warm showers
Weekly ash cleanings (don't believe the once per season cleaning on MES site)
Nice warm house (we even left the house untended for 4 days at Christmas without problem<risky thing to do, but nothing shut off)

Problems:
Constant Ash Scrape error from Janfire NH burner (solution: reduce amount of time b/w ash scrape and clean slag on burner we found a tiny piece of copper lodged under ash scraper left by install and were able to remove it)

Overtemp shut down (boiler and burner have seperate temp controls and the boiler overheat at 240 degrees cause system shutdown / we were able to prevent this by reducing the janfire burner settings so the burner would not overshoot the 180 degree mark needed/ burner setting low 140 high 165/

Blown fuse (keep a few extra fast blow fuses handy in case needed as the heating coil inside burner can cause blown fuse at start up, we have reduced the stress on this by increasing burner standby time to 30 minutes so that a tiny flame will stay lit between calls for zone heat to avoid inefficient short cycling of burner)

After working out these few kinks things have been running smoothly.
Ten things you should now before install:
1 This is not maintenance free system
2 Someone should be home daily to ensure warm house
3 Your basement will lose a lot of space
4 Plan week ahead for fuel delivery
5 Keep some extra bagged pellets (just in case)
6 Much better than filling a wood stove
7 Same price as oil
8 Your home will be heated with a carbon neutral renewable resource
9 Awesome for the local economy
10 You can laugh when you see the oil truck go by that cost you 4500 dollars last year!

Status
Not open for further replies.