walkout basement install question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Steve15

Sep 24, 2019
Nova Scotia
We recently bought a cottage that had an Enviro Ef-3 installed in the walkout basement. I call it the basement but it's really the main living area with the kitchen, dining room and sitting room. The cottage is built on a slope so the lower level is the walk out main area of the cottage and the bedrooms are upstairs with the front door entry. The grade on the sides of the cottage step down in 3 increments so once you reach the sliding door , the walkout is at grade level. The stove will be used as a supplemental heat source when we are there on weekends as we have electrical baseboards and a heat pump, so its mainly for cozy ambiance.

The stove was initially installed around the middle of the side wall, equal from the back wall and the sliding door. We fully renovated the space and are moving the stove to the very back wall of the room. Our plan is to install it with the pipes going vertical then a 90 degree turn to the side wall and vent it out. There it will be about 18" above the ground and we will continue it up the side ~ 4'. That was our plan but we stopped in at the local fireplace store on the weekend and asked them to have a look.

Their installer came out to look at it and they are quoting us $2400+tx to vent it outside and then up the outside of the cottage and through the roof overhang. This seems like over kill to me or am I completely wrong? Another question is the need for fresh air and if so, is there a way to provide it without running that ugly venting up the living room wall? Is there a more aesthetic way to provide fresh air? We're really not keen on having a 4" exhaust pipe and a 3" fresh air hose running up the wall in our main living room. Can anyone comment on whether it is really needed in this application?

Thanks!

Depending on how much new material is needed that might not be a bad price. We are in the process of installing one in our walkout basement as well and our pricing is as follows:

Stove: Osburn Matrix $2900
36ft of 6" insulated outside chimney + double wall black pipe for inside: $3300
Installation: $800
Wett Inspection $300
Fireplace Permit from City $100
Total: $7400

As for intake I'm not sure yet, we just got our permit and it does have a condition for the addition of combustion air, I do need clairification from the inspection dept if I need cold air to the stove or just a vent in the room. I'd personally just prefer a cold air vent on the wall and have the stove burn stale air from the room. My parents stove runs this way and works well. If not I will drywall a chase in the corner behind the stove to supply combustion air.

We are running a pellet stove in our finished basement as well - it's a great supplemental heating source for the upstairs (it's an open stairway) and the lower level is really cozy all winter. We used Selkirk 6" direct-temp vent pipe, which has the outside air source built into it - it's a little larger diameter, but then you don't have the ugly flex pipe running up along side either. Selkirk has all the elbows and adapters to fit stoves; a small length of flex pipe attaches between the back of the stove and bottom section of vent pipe. We had enough room to run the pipe out the sill plate with enough ground clearance to meet code - and just ran it straight out with a jet cap on the end. No issues with sooting on the siding, etc.

Your move makes sense. Use durivent pro pellet pipe
Your vent and OAK are in the same pipe (OAK outside air kit)
Venting at the 4 ft. level outside is perfectly acceptable
If you are handy you can do it yor self without any problems