wall thermostats.. let's talk.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jeremygrimm

Dec 16, 2014
Malvern, ohio
Hey all. I have an englander 25pdv that I have running pretty good. The problem now is that when it's over freezing my house will climb to 75 on heat setting of 3. She's putting out the heat. So my plan is to install a thermostat in the basement on the other side of the house from the pellet burner. I look on englander website and it's 54 bucks plus 15 bucks for shipping for their "recommended thermostat". I want to buy one off of eBay or Lowes or somewhere and was just wondering would any low voltage heat thermostat work?

Another question before this thread gets buried. Im in the middle of a basement remodel and I'm going to run all my thermostat wire in the wall til I get to the furnace. What could be some good options to come out of the wall with to the furnace. I really don't like the looks of seal tite coming from a wall box to the furnace. And I don't think wire mold will look quite right and I really don't want exposed wire running to the furnace. Any other options?

Cut off a little early there....have them set just like the oil boiler. Come on strong when we are home and get the house to 72 maintain and then down to 65 at night or during the day.

Reactions: jeremygrimm
Last edited:
Just ordered one off eBay for 16 bucks. Thanks. I also think I found the solution to my wire from the wall to the furnace. I'm going to put a cat 6 faceplate and just use 2 of the wires.. that way if I ever want to unplug the unit to move it and take the back off I can just unplug it. Heck I could even use a phone jack, but all I have is cat 6 stuff.

I had a Honeyywell but switched up to the Rite Temp in my sig because instead of adjustable cycles, it has a swing temp adjustment, I use 2 deg. and use it just like the boiler tstat as was noted above, It is mounted on the wall behind and to the right of the insert, the coolest spot in the home so a setting of 66 on this tstat gets the room to 70. Comes on in the AM off later in the day, back on in the late afternoon when al return from work etc and off again at night at bedtime.

Reactions: jeremygrimm
Any millivolt T-stat should get the job done. I have an older Lux stat running my PAH on a schedule, and it works great. That was a big part of buying that stove - having t-stat compatibility.

Any possibity that the thermostat Start and Stop the stove ? Possibly by a smart one ? (24v/110v with relay/DC)

the stove can be run on a tstat and will be able to control temps. but it can't be turned off and on.

the stove can be run on a tstat and will be able to control temps. but it can't be turned off and on.
Does that not depend on the stove. I'm pretty sure one of the options on my stove when running a t stat is off when temp is reached or high low is other option

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

The OP has an englander 25pdv(i assumed thats the stove that the thread is about) and it only operates on thermostat Hi-Low you have to push buttons to turn off and on. There was a thread that someone was tapping into the touch pad pins to set an away type timer. But never read that it was completed or worked.

But fro their stove before 2003, they had a remote thermostat so I found it weird that there's nothing simple to remotely start it up .(zwave, zigbee, wifi...)

Englander 25pdv

Last edited:
But fro their stove before 2003, they had a remote thermostat so I found it weird that there's nothing simple to remotely start it up .(zwave, zigbee, wifi...)

Englander 25pdv

Envoyé de mon SM-G920W8 en utilisant Tapatalk
Yes remote thermostat does work on all the englands. But they have a separate touch pad for the control board. So it has Ribbon cable that connects the 2 and all settings including on and off are buy momentary switches. Do a search on the forums for 25pdvc thermostat i think thats how i found the thread on taping into the pins

Reactions: Zarlator
Yes remote thermostat does work on all the englands. But they have a separate touch pad for the control board. So it has Ribbon cable that connects the 2 and all settings including on and off are buy momentary switches. Do a search on the forums for 25pdvc thermostat i think thats how i found the thread on taping into the pins
I will look again into it. By any chance don't hesitate to shoot :)

Last edited: