Want to buy Fisher wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jtesia

Jul 9, 2017
MN
Just bought a cabin in northern MN and looking for a two door Grandpa Fisher Wood Stove for sale. Will travel anywhere in MN to pick it up. I have been watching Craig's list and eBay but no luck...any other thoughts???

Be patient. Since you're willing to travel, one will come along. The frustrating part is finding the price you are willing to pay.
When searching craigslist use keywords such as woodstove, wood burning stove, "Fischer", not only "Fisher Stove". You'll find people posting stoves without using the terms you're searching for, or they don't know what they have.

Second, don't believe anything you're told by most sellers. Here's a Grandma III with Fireplace legs claimed to heat 3000 sf ! (That should be 1750) As well as stating you can use the bear feet for older stoves with angle iron legs. They will not fit that particular stove. The good part is that stove is a UL listed stove with baffle that will put out as much heat as an unbaffled older Grandpa. The bad is they are asking twice as much as it's worth.
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/app/6210096444.html
Most are clueless. I've educated many and some elected not to sell after finding out what they had.

I found a grandpa lll model with 9-3-7? Etched in the back- whatvdies the lll mean? Is that still the bigger one?

III was introduced in '79 with optional arched top "Cathedral" doors, and after 1979 was only available with "Cathedral" style doors. The arched doors are solid cast iron available in black, nickel or brass plated. Later glass doors were added to the III Series.
IF it has rounded corners without angle iron legs it should have a baffle and shields which is the UL listed III model. (tag on rear shield) That is usually the only way anyone would know it is a III by the UL tag.
If it has the old style box with angle iron legs it won't have shields or baffle and is not UL Listed. There will be no tag so most people won't realize it is a III unless they know any Grandpa or Grandma with solid arched top doors is a III.
With larger glass opening it becomes a IV.

III isn't larger, it is more efficient with the baffle.

Just bought a cabin in northern MN and looking for a two door Grandpa Fisher Wood Stove for sale. Will travel anywhere in MN to pick it up. I have been watching Craig's list and eBay but no luck...any other thoughts???

Jessica
Have you found a Fisher Stove yet?
I have a Grandma Bear Stove for Sale. I am asking $500.00.
It is in great shape. If you are interested, please contact me and I will send you additional information. It is only a touch smaller than the Grandpa.
It has double doors just like the Grandpa
Please contact me ASAP as I am about to post it on several sites.
I am located in Northern Wisconsin six zero eight 2172887

Can someone please help me determine a fair price on this Fisher teddy bear model? Really can't find much on this.

Attachments

• part0.jpg
    part0.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 665
There is no "book value" for stoves until they become an antique at 100 years. You'll find stoves vary by location and season. Now being about the lowest and Fall being the highest. So whatever buyer and seller agree upon.

Any stove with a UL Tag is worth much more since it can be used legally in states other than CA, OR and WA. This should have one on the back since it was a tested model. It should be on the rear shield.

This one having brass plated doors makes it more desirable than a black door, but look closely at the plating to make sure it was never cleaned or polished with something abrasive. For me that would lower the price considerably. Others may just need it for heat in an area where they aren't concerned about looks. Is the Fire Screen in good condition that should come with it? They can cost around $100. Firebrick condition can lower the price if you can't replace it yourself. Those are the factors to consider when pricing. Not much wears or goes wrong with that model.
From a collectors standpoint, new in box and never fired I would pay up to $800 and travel the entire East Coast. That used stove needing reconditioning for my collection, $200 within a couple hours. That's my personal price range and I have most all models using those guidelines. Some were acquired cheaper (one free) the cheapest being $80 and the most over $1000.

Dont those states require emission compliance as well? I dont think a ul tag is enough.

Dont those states require emission compliance as well? I dont think a ul tag is enough.

Emission compliance is only for outdoor boilers and new wood stoves. It started in 2015 and is phased in stages to 2020. Problem being they believe it will not improve air quality since there are thousands of older stoves in use and building stoves with new technology and more testing drives the price even higher making old used stoves more appealing. Obviously to clean the air, the law should be written to not allow an older stove to be installed and a new one could only replace an old one...... such as the case in WA.CA. and OR. Then it comes down to enforcement. The number of old stoves for sale on craigslist in those states where banned is sickening. Their laws are written to disable the non approved stoves by welding shut, bla bla bla , none are pictured or sold as such and I've never heard of the EPA enforcing the illegal sale of them. If I was selling one in those states, I'd expect the EPA to be calling as a buyer to set me up for an illegal sale. The same sellers with multiple listings have been selling and delivering within the state for years! I guess an 8.3 billion dollar a year budget doesn't allow for that kind of enforcement.
Right now there are 6 for sale on the Oregon Coast Craigslist. That's more than in PA ! You would never know they were banned there by the number sold. Cheap too!

Yes i know they can be used if you already own it and it is installed. But isnt this thread about buying one which is not allowed in those states.

Outdoor boilers and new wood stoves are the only appliances that need to comply with emission regs. They can install old non EPA stoves in MN and VT.

Outdoor boilers and new wood stoves are the only appliances that need to comply with emission regs. They can install old non EPA stoves in MN and VT.
Yes in mn and vermont. For this poster it obviosly doesnt matter they can buy and install a fisher without problems. I did just go back and read you post it says they are fine in states other than those 3 i mis read your post was correct. My appologies.

The one thing you said that bothered me though is the thing about the testing driving up price. I hear it allot but you can go buy englaners for around $1000 which will outperform a fisher in just about every possible way. How much were fishers when they were new? Now adjust that price for inflation. Current stove prices really are not higher.

They are referring to the price difference between new and used causing people to buy used stoves because they can't afford new ones.
The price was driven up when testing was done by 4 different independent labs in sections of the country that other states didn't accept until UL became the standard which required all the tested stoves to be sent for UL testing. I don't know how much more smoke emission testing raises the price to certify a stove.

The first Papa Bears started at 225. Materials were 61.50 per stove. (steel at 23 - 27 cents per pound) After testing and paying 8% royalty fee they were 300. By 1980 with UL testing that large model was 555.

Ok so in the mid 70s they were $300. Today that equates to almost $1400. And the 555 in 1980 is about $1750. So those proces are easily in the realm of some basic new stoves. Yes you absolutly can spend more now but you could then as well.

Yes of course used is cheaper that has always been the case. But the fact remains you can now buy a new stove that is much more efficent for similar cost to what a new stove cost in the 70s or 80s.

I guess you could write "Fisher" on one of those Lopi Liberty's and sort of get the same fuzzy feeling. ==c

I guess you could write "Fisher" on one of those Lopi Liberty's and sort of get the same fuzzy feeling. ==c
You would actually be able to see the fire then to

Grandma IV.jpg

Also, the lower efficiency of the older stoves will cost you more in the long run even though the upfront cost may be cheaper. But is the upfront cost cheaper? A small EPA certified wood stove at Lowe's = $550 here in Idaho. In a month or two it will be $400.