Want to install WB fireplace in home without one

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gdrum3581

Feb 15, 2011
Dayton Oh
Hello there. I have a 2 story, cedar-sided home without an existing wood burning fireplace. I really would like to have a wood burning fireplace. I realize gas may be more cost effective or less labor intensive but I really just like the wood burning fireplaces much better. So, my question revolves around cost and practicality. I'll try to describe the pertinent factors of my home and the fireplace as best I can so that maybe some of you can actually throw dollar ranges at me.

As I said I have a 2 story, painted cedar-sided (installed in the same orientation as your basic vinyl siding) home where the optimal location for install has a straight wall with no obsticles such as windows or utilities. The first floor (which is where I'd have the fireplace) is about 2 -3 feet above grade. The chimney chase would just be boxed in in the same cedar siding and painted to match the rest of the home. The fireplace itself, I'd prefer to have some sort of raised hearth and mantle built around around it. Nothing extravigant just a modest look for pictures, knick knacks, etc. I guess what I'd want is a built in where I have the option to burn with the doors open (screen in place) or close them and have a blower come on and fill the room with heat. My uncle has one with cast iron doors that close and lock in place and that seems suitable for my taste.

I've attached a simple jpeg of my home and I indicated where I'd have the chimney so you can better orient yourself. Great microsoft paint art right?!?!

So, as I said, I'd love to hear about actual dollar costs of having a contractor do the work. I realize you guys can't be exact but a WAG or SWAG would be much appreciated. I'm just trying to figure out if this is on the 1-2 (<$5,000 year plan, 5-10 $5,000 to $10,000 or never $10,000+.

Attachments

• Want to install WB fireplace in home without one
    chimney location.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 426
Welcome, gdrum. Masonry, ZC FP or insert, chimney/chase/soffit work - I'd WAG it well north of $10k. Less expensive would be a hearth, free standing stove, stove pipe to 1st floor ceiling, then chased in Class A chimney in 2nd floor, then thru attic out roof. Depending on stove - Option 2 would be $3k-$5k, less if you do some labor yourself.

Take a look here to get some ideas of what you can do.
https://www.hearth.com/gallery/pics/woodcoal/
A freestanding stove will be more efficient as well, and can take a big chunk out of your heating bill if that's how you choose to use it. You've come to the right place if you want to burn wood. Keep reading, there is a lot here to learn.

Thanks for the replies so far. I realize the freestanding option might be easier or more efficient but I don't really see it as matching the inside decor nor would it get past the practicallity test of myself or my wife. I'm really looking to get a fireplace that doesn't come off as an afterthought aesthetically. The cedar chimney chase would match the rest of the neighborhood perfectly. I really want the fireplace more for visual and aromatic effect than heating effect however the built in option with a blower would be nice alternative from time to time. Please keep any info or thoughts coming. I appreciate them all.

Gary

Look at RSF, Lennox, And Quadra-Fire for some good EPA compliant fireplaces. I think by the time you got something like that installed you could have way more than $10k in it, unless you're doing it yourself. That's a lot of cash for ambiance, but at least a fireplace like that will make some useable heat.

Gary, welcome, you should find a wealth of information here. while Ill say alot will be towards a freestanding unit, fireplaces have their place.

I like the idea. a chase on the outside actually is not that much money, however the hearth itself, masonry, firebrick etc. would get real pricey. you could look into a zero clearance fireplace they use a liner and chase but kinda small and impersonal.

i understand your notion of aesthetically pleasing but your also looking for the noise, smell sight of a fire and i get that, most here do to. (thats why some never leave) but some stoves can be great to look at as well. I wish i can give you a brand name but cant remember, a few stoves actually are able to burn with the doors open or removed for the ambiance of a fireplace. maybe take a look at that. you get the best of both worlds, heat for when its cold, fireplace crackle when you want, plus a cheaper install.

Best of luck to you.

If you're looking for a stove you can burn with the doors open, none are more beautiful than the Vermont Castings in my opinion. As far as the cost for all this. The stove ~$2500-$3000, the chimney ~$1000 for a class A, just for materials. That's being conservative $4500-$5000 is more like it for a good atractive stove and chimney. Then if you go exterior chimney, the chase and siding can be as much as $1000-$2000 depending on who you have do it. A good carpenter or a cheap one. It is often hard to find a good cheap one. The same can be said about the hearth and a mason. The tag there will probably be at least $2000 if you're lucky. Total is going to get pretty close to your never mark if you're lucky. The good news is a common man can usually do some of the work and lighten the financial load. An interior class A chimney would cost much less and minimizing a hearth would also cut the cost. Look at the picture gallery for some ideas and check out this link for what I think is one of the best looking stoves ever made:
http://literature.mhsc.com/vermont_...141_Catalytic-NonCatalytic-Wood_Stoves_BR.pdf

They also have a new 2n1 technology that means you can burn the stoves in catalityc or non-cat. I think once you have a stove in your house you'll end up burning more than you expected, the heat is really nice and heating bills get smaller everytime you put wood in the stove. It's really a thing of beauty!!

Status
Not open for further replies.