Want to use fireplace for the first time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

enjo1

Sep 29, 2018
Oshawa, Ontario. Canada
Hello everyone. First time poster/home buyer here! We purchased the home in January of 2016. The house was built in the mid 70's. We had the opportunity to speak with the previous owners, who had only lived in the home for shortly under two years. In their time of ownership they did not use the fireplace, so they had no knowledge of whether it worked or not. I've been tempted in the previous two years to start a fire, but have gotten as far as opening the flue and then closing it out of complete fear and anxiety. Upon finding my way to this forum, I decided to post for some feedback on what steps to take prior to attempting it's use. I opened the flue and took some pictures of the chimney, as well as the inside of fireplace. Any direction would be greatly appreciated! Want to use fireplace for the first time Want to use fireplace for the first time Want to use fireplace for the first time Want to use fireplace for the first time Want to use fireplace for the first time
Want to use fireplace for the first time Want to use fireplace for the first time Want to use fireplace for the first time Want to use fireplace for the first time Want to use fireplace for the first time

You need to have it inspected by a chimney pro. I can tell you the gap behind the clay liner needs to be filled. And it is very possible the smoke shelf of the metal firebox is rusted out. But i cant tell that i am just going by age and the fact that it doesnt look like there is a cap.