Warning for Lopi AGP Pellet stove's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
So at this point and from what I have read in this string of posts that I need to replace my auger motor. How do I know when I order it if I am getting the new updated motor? Failure detected when pellets stopped feeding: empty hopper, bypass feed door saftey (keep hands out ;lol) and see if feed platter turns, if not take side panels (opposite damper pull) off and confirm that platter and motor drive shaft fastners are snug, if they are snug the motor is probably shot. You can confirm by bench testing motor with 110v.

What company are you ordering it from? Part number?
I see some have ordered an alternate brand motor as well. Where could I get one of those? Would not buy the Merkle-Korff OEM motor, the Gleason-Avery A901 installed last March is functioning fine.

Also, has anyone replaced the combustion blower yet? I think my loud operating noise is partly due to that as well. I suppose the bearings in the motor are getting tired and its getting louder and louder. Blower motors are louder than I would like but have performed trouble free.

Sorry for the long post and any advice would be much appreciated.

Dan[/QUOTE]
When

Hi
Are you using Hardwood or Softwood pellets?

Hi
Are you using Hardwood or Softwood pellets?
hardwood

Update! Another top feed/platen gearbox failure. Stove went out 2-3x's today. Removed side panel and saw the tell tale black grease around the gearbox. My bad for not sharpening & honing cutter blade?? Stove is POS.

Last edited:
I am in my third season with my AGP. When I first started using it, I had the same auger clunking noises described in earlier posts. Even swapped out the motors on dealers advice. Turns out I had the updated motor to begin with. No change in performance. I found adjusting the air damper worked to stop the noises. I still get them but not as often as when I first used it. I also removed two washers on the door latch, which tightened the seal and helped to mitigate some of the soot build up on the door. For the first two seasons I used Curran hardwood blend pellets. I think it's an 80/20 blend. This season I am using Fusion Blend hardwood pellets. I am having issues now this season with the fire cover being pushed off the burn pot every 2-3 days. Very annoying. I am thinking it may be a combination of using the stove on a low setting and burning hardwood pellets. I have been told that Curran pellets are a "dirty" pellet but I think I am going to go back to them after I use up my fusion blend. Has anyone else had a similar problem with the fire cover coming off?