Was it burning correctly?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
I was at a restaurant this weekend and it was heated with a pellet stove.

This was the first stove I've ever seen up close and got a chance to watch for a good amount of time. I was impressed by it, but was a bit disturbed by embers shooting out of the burn pot. The pot looked like a little volcano shooting out pyroclastic material!

Do all pellet stoves do this?

If they do, are pellet stoves made that do not have a large glass front? Maybe a metal panel that would just radiate heat?

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
I was at a restaurant this weekend and it was heated with a pellet stove.

This was the first stove I've ever seen up close and got a chance to watch for a good amount of time. I was impressed by it, but was a bit disturbed by embers shooting out of the burn pot. The pot looked like a little volcano shooting out pyroclastic material!

Do all pellet stoves do this?

If they do, are pellet stoves made that do not have a large glass front? Maybe a metal panel that would just radiate heat?

Matt
no, not all pellet stoves do this. in fact the one you saw probably had the draft set too high (popcorn effect)

Mine does not do that.

YES they do this each time pellets are dropped in the burn pot there will be some hot ash flying around and it perfectly normal.

Mine doesn't do that...........

edit: woops. I lied. Cranked the
heat up and it does do it on the higher
settings.... Short video here: :cheese:

th_sparkitup.jpg

Mine too, it's called fly ash, and it does fly.

Here is a pix of fly ash.
IMG_0814_1_1.gif

If it were only in colors...you would have your own little fireworks display ;-)

It's on thermostat and every shut down reminds me of the forth of july.

Status
Not open for further replies.