Watch yer back Tesla

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I read the whole report yesterday and it's quite intriguing. From what I read, they are looking to make the tools that make the batteries, not the batteries themselves. At $11 million per machine and needing very little space, it revolutionizes the process of making batteries. Indeed, Tesla's ginormous Nevada factory may be 3/4 empty space if this turns out to be usable.

Definitely intriguing. Shows yet again the advantage of vehicle electrification and EVs. A better/different/cheaper batt tech can come along and work as a drop in replacement. Versus trying to switch from gasoline to EtOH or other biofuel or synfuel of your choice.

I'm not worried about Tesla. If new battery tech appeared that was superior and cheaper than Li-ion, Tesla's valuation would go stratospheric (assuming it could license the tech), more than making up for any equipment write-down from the Giga-factory.

I'm more worried that they won't ship the X anytime soon or the Model 3 in 2017/8. Delay and loss of confidence could tank their stock and drive them out of business, or make them a takeover target.

I'd assume the undisclosed partner is one of the existing large manufacturers like Panasonic, A123, or Johnson Controls. If 24M needed a partner with deep pockets and an interest in reducing costs, those are obvious people to talk to.

Tesla already buys their batteries from Panasonic, and Panasonic is a close partner with them in the Tesla battery factory project.

With the length of development of big projects like the Tesla battery factory, it's entirely possible 24M is already involved.

As for the Model X and the Model 3, I never expected them to be on time. The next development schedule or budget an Elon Musk venture successfully meets will be Musk's first time ever. He's leading consistently impressive projects, but always with an excess of optimism.

I wouldn't be surprised if the partner is BYD, China. Tesla as the mystery partner would also make sense.
http://www.byd.com/

Reactions: woodgeek
Status
Not open for further replies.