water pump

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
So for the past 3 years I have had to dig up my water pipe. I have an above ground pump that right now has been running consistently because usually the foot value on the end of the pipe that is in the ground gets stuck open because of dirt or something. I don't know what to do about it. We replace the foot valve everytime, we shortened the pipe and it lasts for about 4 or so months and then my pump runs 24/7, I can't use my dishwasher and washing machine at the same time because I will loose water for some reason. I put a brand new pump on last year. Nothing I do seems to work. Does anyone have experience with a situation like this....
with the pump running all day, it kills my electric bill especially the winter months.

Help..

Check your pressure tank, seems like the air bladder might have failed. That is one of the things to check when pumps run constantly

You could put in a check valve just before the tank. Are you sure that your well is not running dry? What type of pump?

That was what I was thinking last year, How does one check it? what do I check for? Would this be a cause even though after I take the pipe out of the ground, tighten everything back up put it back down in and it seems fine? The pump did come on every so often then even with out us running water...so maybe..

edit: now thinking about it, I shut the valve between the pump and pressure tank and the pump didn't budge about turning off...so it might not be that.

Status
Not open for further replies.