Waterford (model e-65) goes "poof" repeatedly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

olliemycat

Oct 26, 2014
Cape Cod
My 14-year old propare-fired Waterford (model e65... Emerald?) has been misbehaving of late. After being turned on for a couple of minutes, it would go "poof" as if having a mini explosion. Then it would stop burning for a few second, then resume good behavior. This somewhat irregular behavior would recycle several times in an hour. The pilot stays lit, obviously, or it would not be able to continue, thus absolving the thermocouple and thermopile. My diagnosis is a faulty S.I.T. valve, but I'm not sure. Any thoughts?

(BTW, I've attempted a light cleansing of the TC and TP and vacuumed the pilot area.)

Thanks in advance.

Try removing the burner & burner orifice & checking to see if the gas line behind the orifice isn't blocked by a spider's nest...In all my time in the industry I've seen a total of ONE bad valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.