Wear your chaps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ISeeDeadBTUs said:
I bought my first pair (Stihl, of course) last year. About the end of the season, I got Urushinol on them. First time in my life. People say you cant get it in the winter. You can. Trying to decide if I should chance the itchies with wearing the old ones this year, or get new ones. :long:

My experience, and I've had plenty, is that you can get poison ivy any time of year from any part of the plant, not just leaves. I got a bad case all over one arm one time while digging out a gopher tunnel to place a trap. This was in the middle of my front yard. The nearest PI was on an old oak tree 20 feet away. I made contact with roots in the ground. It was a nasty case of PI.

I got my Labonville's on sale last year before Christmas. I can't remember if was direct from Labonville or from Bailey's.

Once they are "used" they should be replaced. Much cheaper than microsurgery to reattach stuff.[/quote] My right thumb cost me $500.00 & ten day off work. It was still attached after the "occurrence" :)

Just in the news here today a guy cutting for a local tree service cut his leg while 20 feet in the air. Was unconscious and hanging there, had to be brought down by EMS. Expected to live though. They said he has 30 years experience with cutting trees.

No chaps. 1977. Kept me outa the Ms. America Padget. 23 stitches.

Attachments

• CIMG7285.jpg
    CIMG7285.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 315
  • CIMG7286.jpg
    CIMG7286.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 313
southbound said:
If my camera was working I would show you folks why I'm buying a pair of chainsaw safety boots!!!! No no blood but boy it was close....

Need more info? I have never seen a reason for more than steel toes. What saw bar length and cuting what? and how? lol

smokinjay said:
southbound said:
If my camera was working I would show you folks why I'm buying a pair of chainsaw safety boots!!!! No no blood but boy it was close....

Need more info? I have never seen a reason for more than steel toes. What saw bar length and cuting what? and how? lol

Reason http://www.treeworld.info/f7/chainsaw-boot-test-1575.html#post77011

No not me but almost...

My main job is four tens so on the weekends I work for someone else cutting timber on Fri and Sat... Anyway I was tired and my 064 locked up on the second tree of the day so I went back to the 046.. I just got it back from the shop over a strange no oiling problem and it was running fine.. Bout half way done with my last load of the day and I did not notice the chain was constantly turning.. Well I bucked the log and put the tip in the dirt to prop myself up like a cane but because the chain was spinning somehow it road up the outside of my right boot just behind the steel cap.. Real close to loosing my little toe...

So soon I will have these... http://www.corcoranandmatterhorn.com/ItemDisplay.asp?Style=12277&CategoryID=33

just ordered a pair of labonville chaps.

smokinjay said:
CTYank said:
smokinjay said:
estang said:
I got a set of Husquvarna Blue ones , Are they all the same concept and material or are the rated different???

6 or 9 plys is the only differences. After seeing one in action it never got through one ply.

I'm not a lawyer, and did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but ...
there's no guarantee (none given in writing) that chaps will protect you from all injury. They will buy you a few milliseconds and reduce injury.

Once they are "used" they should be replaced. Much cheaper than microsurgery to reattach stuff.

This means what? You have a sewing machine? lol

You serious? Once "used" they are JUNK. Simple enough. Not a laughing matter IMO.

Like, you "use" a helmet in a race. You TOSS IT- it's used up.

CTYank said:
smokinjay said:
CTYank said:
smokinjay said:
estang said:
I got a set of Husquvarna Blue ones , Are they all the same concept and material or are the rated different???

6 or 9 plys is the only differences. After seeing one in action it never got through one ply.

I'm not a lawyer, and did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but ...
there's no guarantee (none given in writing) that chaps will protect you from all injury. They will buy you a few milliseconds and reduce injury.

Once they are "used" they should be replaced. Much cheaper than microsurgery to reattach stuff.

This means what? You have a sewing machine? lol

You serious? Once "used" they are JUNK. Simple enough. Not a laughing matter IMO.

Like, you "use" a helmet in a race. You TOSS IT- it's used up.

Dont think anyone even brought that up or disagreeing with it! I was only pointing out theres 6 and 9 ply. :cheese: And I have earn the right to laugh! :lol:

HeatsTwice said:
No chaps. 1977. Kept me outa the Ms. America Padget. 23 stitches.

Mine is across the knee cap, but only 7 stitch's.

Lucky it didn't tear it off. Mine was only a flesh wound. No lasting effects. People just think I've had knee surgury by Dr. Frankenstien.

stitches out and back to work tonight. Still cant bend it fully yet for 2 more weeks but at least i can go make some money now instead of holding the couch down

oilstinks said:
stitches out and back to work tonight. Still cant bend it fully yet for 2 more weeks but at least i can go make some money now instead of holding the couch down

Bet them new chaps are Sexy! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.