Weekend trip

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
The boys and I headed east of the Cascades to see the Dry Falls and Grand Coulee Dam. The landscape is stark, huge and spectacular. We stayed at Dry Falls State Park which was a nice spot a couple miles south of Dry Falls. This is where the earth's largest known flood occurred at the end of the last ice age. An ice dam at the fork of the Clark River in Montana burst and released the waters of what is called Lake Missoula across Idaho and into WA, down the Columbia and eventually to the Pacific. The volume, some 5 pentillion gallons was equal to draining Lake Erie and Ontario in less than a week! It sculpted out 16 million year old lava flows to a depth of 500 ft creating the coulees or canyons of Eastern WA. We were standing on an upper rim, 500 ft above the bottom of the coulee and the sign said the water was 3-500 ft higher than where we stood!! Amazing.
IMAG1513web.jpg Full moon from our campsite
IMAG1507web.jpg
IMAG1516web.jpg IMAG1516_Panorama_Web.jpg IMAG1524web.jpg
Niagara Falls is huge, but it would be tiny in this landscape. There are boats down on the water there but they look like dust specks in the picture. The cars in the background are actually full sized pickups with camper bodies. The panorama is about 7 miles across. Imagine this whole are under 300 ft of raging water traveling at about 60mph.

Last edited:
Onward to Grand Coulee Dam, the world's largest concrete structure. There is enough concrete in it to wrap two 6 ft wide sidewalks around the world at the equator. This thing is huge. The curved tubes on powerhouse #3 at the left are 40ft inside diamter pipes.
IMAG1526web.jpg IMAG1536web.jpg
The second shot is Grand Coulee Dam from about 4 miles away. It is a mile across the top. Lake Roosevelt behind the dam is 151 miles long. It reaches up to Canada. In spite of this being a very dry year the lake is only 3% below normal. Lots of water there. Besides making over 6,000 megawatts of power it irrigates an area the size of Delaware.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good time. Beautiful country up that way.

Indeed it is. The escarpment is about 450-500ft tall. Here's a shot of the debris pile left from building Grand Coulee Dam. Back east this would be a mountain. It's in the middle of the town of Grand Coulee next to the high school. We were told that the coach likes to send his football team scrambling up the hill to burn off a little steam.

IMAG1535web.jpg IMAG1539web.jpg

Reactions: BigFir and Jags
BG, I was just at Dry Falls at the end of August.
Love that place & Grand Coulee.

Attachments

• Dry Falls2.jpg
    Dry Falls2.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 167
  • Dry Falls3.jpg
    Dry Falls3.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 145
  • Dry Falls5.jpg
    Dry Falls5.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 155
Reactions: BigFir
Very Cool! It's an awesome and amazing landscape.

When I was at CWU, Dry Falls was my favorite place to fish. I spent a lot of Friday afternoons and evenings on that lake.

Status
Not open for further replies.