weil mclain boiler with boilermate vs toyotomi om-180

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are so many possible combinations of heating, I couldn't really find my combination so I decided to start a new thread. here is the deal: I have a weil mclain 100,000 btu boiler with three zones set up. one for the upstairs, one for the down stairs, and one for the 41 gallon boilermate. All of this is located centrally downstairs and the main living area is upstairs. the house is about 2800 square feet with half upstairs and half downstairs. I also have a wood stove downstairs. without the wood stove burning, I hear the boiler kick on and off constantly all day. With the wood stove burning the house stays well above the kick on temperature for the boiler, but I assume it is trying to keep that 41 gallons of water in the boilermate warm. if I leave the boilermate turned off, I never hear the boiler turn on, and the internal boiler temp drops big time. my first thought was to get rid of the boilermate and put in a toyotomi 0m-148 for my domestic hotwater supply, but then I thought maybe I should get rid of the whole setup and just get a om-180 to act as a hydronic heater as well as for my DHW. I am wondering if the toyo can keep up with my heating needs. does anyone have any thoughts on any of this?

Thanks for any and all info!

We have a 3000sq.ft. home. 1500 sq.ft. is radiant in floor and the remainder is off a fan coil. The fan coil replaced the oil forced air furnace. We are usin a toyo om-180 for the heating of the complete system. I have friends that have used the OM-180 for the last 7 years and longer for their homes and have save a monstrous amount of money from previous years. We have had a huge savings since replacing the furnace with a fan coil and OM-180 even with the larger addition. This is a different application than your question but feel that the information is pertinant to reliability and heat load. The original plan was to have a conventional boiler in the shop and feed the house but the costs were to exceed 30,000.00. For about 6500.00 our system has been installed(OM-180 and fan coil with installation of chimney, fuel lines and the duct transition). We use a Taco mixing valver and outdoor reset with this system. Granted, there were other costs with our addition for the in floor but these costs were the same regardless of the heating appliance. The toyo's have proved themselves in the north and are through Alaska and the Yukon everywhere. They have stood up to the cold winters since they have come on to the market and have had improvements along this time as well. We have had a toyo radiant heater in our cabin for about 12 years with no issues. It has been three years for our OM-180 and have glycol in the system. Time will tell but we are impressed with the boiler and even to replace it in 10 years is 2500.00 and the change out is basic. The oil forced air furnace is not the same as a boiler but we are very pleased so far. I will update if anything goes sideways with the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.