Welcome to the 150* club!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Isaac Carlson

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2012
NW Wisconsin
Tonight is one of those nights where you really love your wood stove. It’s teetering arount -47*F outside and 102+ in the house. We have been bouncing over the 150* difference mark all night. The stove is just loping along while everything outside is in a deep freeze. A couple of the cats and the rooster are under the house, of their own free will, because we tried to bring them in but they said “no”. It’s pretty warm under there, so they should be just fine. The pigs don’t seem to mind too much and they have hay to sleep in if they feel the need. Normally they just sleep in a pile.

It’s amazing how temperature can change life from season to season. If you don’t have some sort of shelter and a warm fire tonight, it’s probably not good. A lot of homes are freezing cold as the temps drop well below zero. It’s at least -25* in town, but we live in a hole about a mile out and the cold air settles here and it’s almost always colder than in town. Tonight is a very good example of that. I took a quick reading out the door with my wife’s thermometer and was a bit shocked to see the readout. It bottomed out at -48* over about 6 readings.

My wife’s parents called earlier and their power was out.(they have a gas furnace) We offered to pick them up and bring them over here for the night, but they wanted to wait and see if the power came back on.(it did about an hour later). Their water froze in that hour of no power and their house got pretty chilly. They will have the land lord take care of the water in the morning if it doesn’t thaw before then.(land lord is a plumber)

Stay warm out there, wherever you are, and keep those fires burning.

1303EF58-ACDB-40A8-8BC4-B60B3709AEE0.jpeg

Wow, that's intense. Here on the Maine coast it's a balmy +30f and my stove is barely working to keep the house warm. I even let it go out during the night and woke up to 65 degree house.

Reactions: Highbeam
Impressive, but why heat the house to 102F? That would be too hot even if you were sitting around naked.

Holy cow, how can you stand that temp, at 75 I'm trying to open the windows, people die during those temps during summer heat waves,
depending on humidity levels, I'm guessing your house is pretty dry.:)

Yeah why? Just. Why. Maybe 5 feet from the stove?

Over 75 and I would be opening windows, Cant understand why someone would purposely want it to be over 100 in the house.

I should be joining the 100* club today im thinking. -20 out and i usually like it about 80 in the house and i have the wood furnace and wood stove both running so should be a member here in a few hours once house warms back up. I have gotten used to it being 80-90 in the den where the stove is and where i usually spend most my time, seems chilly to me now when the temps get in the low 70s. Along the ceiling its 15 or so degrees warmer than it is just 3 ft down but it worls perfectly for circulating the heat all thru my house. I dont think i'd want to join the 150* club.

I think he's saying 102-150 degree difference. Ex. -48F + 74F = 122F difference. Not sure where he's getting 150 degree difference?!

I think he's saying 102-150 degree difference. Ex. -48F + 74F = 122F difference. Not sure where he's getting 150 degree difference?!

He means it. 102 in the stove room. If that’s what it takes to keep the rest of the house safe then that’s what you do.

He means it. 102 in the stove room. If that’s what it takes to keep the rest of the house safe then that’s what you do.

Thats understandable, my stove is in the basement and to keep the first floor at 70 it is normally 85-95 in the basement......we just dont consider it a livable space when the stove is cranking.

The first year I had the stove here, I would run it hard just to watch it run. 90s in the stove room wasn't uncommon. The rest of the house was of course too warm, but not in the 90s. No one stood around the stove. Insulation and infiltration would make a difference. The outside temps would too. Who knows, maybe there 102 would be needed to keep the extended rooms out of the 50s.

That's impressive cold and I live in Canada ;lol. If it got that cold here I'd need 2 Sumitts in my house to heat it....

Thats understandable, my stove is in the basement and to keep the first floor at 70 it is normally 85-95 in the basement......we just dont consider it a livable space when the stove is cranking.

That makes sense for basement stoves. I leave my basement unheated. It stays at 53-55F since it's mostly underground and my flush insert is able to maintain 74F in the stoveroom upstairs, 70F in the rest of the upstairs and it was -25F this morning.

The stove is 50 ft from the other end of the house, so it needs to be warmer than normal to circulate the heat. We try to keep it at 70+ in the other end of the house. My wife says it needs to be 105 in the living room(stove room) or she isn’t warm enough at the other end of the house.

Reactions: SpaceBus