well what y'all suggest for ss wire mesh screening to encase?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jeanw

Feeling the Heat
Sep 23, 2008
ky
still brainstorming( no peanut gallery comments please) on this idea of using ss wire mesh for door screening. But the u channels pcs so expensive. now the door its self is painted white steel. Mesh will be prob ss mesh. so other than using a rubber gasket between the two surfaces... what materials to use for a U" channel ? alum is cheaper than ss as a u channel.. Plastic will crack and deteriorate in unshaded area. The present temp glass panels we took out for now for door to be painted.
another mistake. cause found out powder coat is better than reg type Rustoleum spray paint.
I didnt try real hard to find a body shop in this one horse town. the five or so body shops, I called too busy to fool with. painting my used STEEL black door white. so had it done by a local guy prob used reg Rust type paint.... I wanted Hubby to buy an automotive type paint while he was in the City ...
any of yall great knowlegeable kind , patient folks got more ideas.? thanks all

Hi. Can you post pictures of what you're wanting to do? Thanks.

Hi. Can you post pictures of what you're wanting to do? Thanks.
How can I post pics if I havent did it. yet Just wanna make removable mesh screens to cover outside of steel sec door. Like lots of Double H windows have screens on the outside.. def Jenweld does and most DH Pella and others I have seen. Instead of cheap easy to tear FGlass
want to use ss wire mesh like this stuff the. ss one .023 by 12 mesh

https://www.twpinc.com/wire-mesh-ma...MIqtrEgJar5AIVkK_sCh0hhQi2EAAYAyAAEgLMhvD_BwE
and make it into rem screens on outside of used sec door
heck CANT rem how to upload a picture Here.....

Last edited:

How can I post pics if I haent did it. Just wanna make rem mesh screens to cover outside of steel sec door. Like lots of DH windows have screens on the outside.. def Jenweld does and most DH Pella and others Ive seen. Instead of cheap easy to tear FGlass use ss wire mesh like this stuff the. ss one .023 by 12 mesh

https://www.twpinc.com/wire-mesh-ma...MIqtrEgJar5AIVkK_sCh0hhQi2EAAYAyAAEgLMhvD_BwE
and make it into rem screens on outside of used sec door
heck CANT rem how to upload a picture Here.....
eSecurity storm door copy.png
here a pic of a similar door

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice Door!

Nice Door!
thats just a pic of one similar couldnt find pics of mine and need to find my camera charger. NOw suggestions please ah that one I believed was only $20 its hard to get there on CL good deals go fast. I bel that one was ad for $20 or so
Now yall see what I wanna do put the REMOVABLE screen on outside so does NOT interfere with the glass parts that go on insides. i guess i should have gotten steel instead a lot cheaper
Like the Pro via brand a"Duraguard" series doors

Couple of things. if that door has had screen before and has the track for screen that SS mesh is not going to fit in that track way to big. SS mesh is going to add a lot of weight to the door especially if you have to add something to hold it on. SS is more Brittle than other materials so its more prone to breaking. Also if its not a good quality it will be rusty within months/
Truth be told by the time you paint the door buy and attach screening a new one will be not much different. If the paint is not prepped properly your going to be repainting every year. With putting the mesh on the outside you are going to hide all the features of the door.

Couple of things. if that door has had screen before and has the track for screen that SS mesh is not going to fit in that track way to big. SS mesh is going to add a lot of weight to the door especially if you have to add something to hold it on. SS is more Brittle than other materials so its more prone to breaking. Also if its not a good quality it will be rusty within months/
Truth be told by the time you paint the door buy and attach screening a new one will be not much different. If the paint is not prepped properly your going to be repainting every year. With putting the mesh on the outside you are going to hide all the features of the door.
Please bear with me yall...... THE mesh arrived yesterday. now looking what to use for a u edging. as Like mentioned want removable. There is no track on those sec doors. never seen a track on a sec door (except one for sale on CL somewhere with the double or triple track self storing feature). the glass panels(3)per door are held in by those small aluminum clips that screw in prev used holes..
what feature? my doors are just bars
with the middle removable glass section panel too. that the only place where some curly looking decoration is.
well bought the 304 type ss. It prob won't rust in my senior lifetime. Our welder friend met a guy who does powder coating. wish he known sooner...instead of that reg spray [t job we had done...
ah have you priced new sec doors.? not cheap have you priced the 'meshtek' screen doors say at Home Depot/? ah saw on line 700 etc buckaroos. this house is not a silk purse and we are not young.
plus won't be the first mistake Ive made> LOL

Last edited:
Have you gone to the hardware store to see if they can make screen inserts? Screens get damaged and remade all the time.

You can buy automotive paint in spray cans. Go to a ppg dealer.

Have you gone to the hardware store to see if they can make screen inserts? Screens get damaged and remade all the time.

You can buy automotive paint in spray cans. Go to a ppg dealer.
Thanks y'all. ah. remember I id already got the mesh. and its too stiff to be use with spline...just wish I could find u edging cheaper and did not have to go so far to get it.. Plus its so expensive
any body ever mess with dealing with the mesh, work with it? be nice to find some used good shaped storm windows that would fit my sec door glass panels then I would have my glass panels put in those and add that special pc that hold those panel catches .. ...
cause as far as I know storm window glass is NOT tempered safety glass ordinarily
bear with ne y'all please

There were no screens/// only glass panels we got....
Need to post [ It turned out pretty nice after all. }. a picture soon
the white scroll work and bars show just fine Just wish could have had the doors "powder coated" painted.

Last edited: