What’s causing this chain to rub??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Chain on too tight? Is the bar oil getting through the oiler mechanism adequately? Have you looked down the groove of your bar to ensure that there’s no pinch in the groove or other impediment? I’d start with those.

Chain on too tight? Is the bar oil getting through the oiler mechanism adequately? Have you looked down the groove of your bar to ensure that there’s no pinch in the groove or other impediment? I’d start with those.
Chain is not too tight and the Oiler is perfect. I think it’s the plate over the bar. I want to just remove the top plate, but I’m not sure if that’s advised

When did the problem start? Did you install a new chain? Are you sure it's the correct chain for the saw/bar? Did you take something apart and but it back together wrong? We like pictures... Helps us help you...

Need more information...

Reactions: MissMac
When did the problem start? Did you install a new chain? Are you sure it's the correct chain for the saw/bar? Did you take something apart and but it back together wrong? We like pictures... Helps us help you...

Need more information...
Original chain and bar. The chain got loose, so I took the cover off, noticed how dirty it was so I took the bar off to clean it up before I tightened it back up. Problem has been since then. I’m 100% sure the chain is on the right direction. Brake is also not engaged
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

either something is messed up with the break or the chain could have a bend in it other pics look ok. it may be something as simple as you thinking the brake is off when in fact it is still engaged. Only other thing I can think of would be a blown sprocket in the bar nose. Have you run the saw with the bar & chain off ? if that runs free that way then it is a bar/chain problem.

I am no saw expert and do not claim to know anything, but I'm curious... Is it possible that the outer silver plate is installed wrong?... Rotate it so the cut-out is over the adjuster stud?????

Maybe???

Thanks for the pictures, that will help others a lot!!!

image.jpg

Reactions: mark cline
I am no saw expert and do not claim to know anything, but I'm curious... Is it possible that the outer silver plate is installed wrong?... Rotate it so the cut-out is over the adjuster stud?????

Maybe???

Thanks for the pictures, that will help others a lot!!!

View attachment 254079
This is my first initial thought as well, but if it’s flipped in there’s no way to tighten the bar. That little piece of metal in that elongated hole is what tightens the bar

either something is messed up with the break or the chain could have a bend in it other pics look ok. it may be something as simple as you thinking the brake is off when in fact it is still engaged. Only other thing I can think of would be a blown sprocket in the bar nose. Have you run the saw with the bar & chain off ? if that runs free that way then it is a bar/chain problem.
I’m beginning to think this is correct as well.

in that particular picture i would also say the plate is on backwards/ upside down but in susequent picks the whole assemble looked correct. normally the oil port is in that position and the tension adj. below on most saws i have seen . due to the angel of the picture it is missing leading. in later pics you can see the stud for adjustment in the proper location relative to the bar. now if when you reassembled the unit and did not get the bar located properly on that adj. stud as seen in the fourth pic. that would put a pinch on things. Generally I move the tension stud back for a loose fit , assemble things and then tension. just a bit easier to get things proper set.

Reactions: MissMac and ErikR
I’ve never seen that plate on the outside of the bar and chain..
Are you sure it’s together right ??

agreed - on any saw i've seen, it's sandwiched between the saw head and the bar

I tried taking it off and the chain oil didn’t circulate, but rather just dumped. I’m not sure how, but it’s how the oil gets to the entire bar.

I tried taking it off and the chain oil didn’t circulate, but rather just dumped. I’m not sure how, but it’s how the oil gets to the entire bar.
In your 1st. Picture in post #5 that plate is not configured that way..
Did you reverse them ?? Is it backwrd ??
All my saws are woods ported Stihl’s, I’m not sure what for saw you have ?
Take that plate off and take a look at the other side,,,, do you see where the chain is rubbing ??

Last edited:
I think the inner plate, shown in his video is correct as shown, but I think the outer plate.... the one in pic number 3... where the bar and chain are shown.... is installed incorrectly. I think that plate needs to be rotated so the open slot is down over the adjusting lug and the closed portion of the late would be towards the oil port or top of the saw.

In your 1st. Picture in post #5 that plate is not configured that way..
Did you reverse them ?? Is it backwrd ??
All my saws are woods ported Stihl’s, I’m not sure what for saw you have ?
Take that plate off and take a look at the other side,,,, do you see where the chain is rubbing ??
The pictures were essentially as I delayered the parts, picture 5 is actually a video. Saw is a homelite.

I think the inner plate, shown in his video is correct as shown, but I think the outer plate.... the one in pic number 3... where the bar and chain are shown.... is installed incorrectly. I think that plate needs to be rotated so the open slot is down over the adjusting lug and the closed portion of the late would be towards the oil port or top of the saw.
The slot in picture 3 is over the bar tightening lug. If it was flipped I couldn’t tighten the chain.

OK, I'm obliviously not seeing the things you're seeing because you have the saw in front of you and I'm looking at pictures. I'll give this one more shot...

This is a screen shot from your video... This is the inner plate.....The green circle is the oil port towards the top of the saw... See the handle above..... The white is the cut-out for the adjusting lug to tighten or loosen the chain..... The screw to adjust the chain is under the plate by the red arrow... Right? To me, that looks fine!!
saw1.JPG

Here's another pic of your saw.....

On any saw I've seen, the oil comes out by the blue arrow. It only make sense.. as the chain would bring the oil forward... The pink arrow is the adjusting lug... The bar even says so...

image (1).jpg

This is what I'm questioning..... this is the "outer plate" I was referring to...

The big slot by the yellow arrow looks like it should be over the adjusting lug, not over the oil port...

Humor me, what happens if you re position the outer plate.... pick it straight up and spin it so the large opening is over the lug... where the red arrow is pointed.???

image.jpg

If that's not it ... I give up... Good luck and have a Merry Christmas too!!

What Homelite saw? Looks like the chain isn't well seated, but I don't know much about Homelite saws.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191225-144607_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191225-144607_Chrome.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 111
This diagram makes it look like the silver plate goes between the bar and the saw body as opposed to the way you have it now. How often do you sharpen the chain and flip the bar?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191225-150123_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20191225-150123_Drive.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 129
This saw has 2 guide plates(look carefully at first couple pics) ( not all that unusual on older saws) and in the one pic the outer one is installed upside down - slot should be over stud. may or may not cause pinching.

Reactions: Sbrown28 and ErikR