What are your favorite recipes?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gary_602z said:
Let's Bake!

Jose Cuervo Christmas Cookies

1 cup of water
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup of sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup of brown sugar
4 large eggs
1 cup nuts
2 cups of dried fruit
1 bottle Jose Cuervo Tequila

Sample the Cuervo to check quality. Take a large bowl, check the Cuervo again, to be sure it is of the highest quality, pour one level cup and drink.

Turn on the electric mixer. Beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl.

Add one peastoon of sugar. Beat again. At this point it's best to make sure the Cuervo is still ok, try another cup just in case.

Turn off the mixerer thingy.

Break 2 leggs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit.

Pick the frigging fruit off the floor.

Mix on the turner.

If the fried druit gets stuck in the beaters just pry it loose with a drewscriver.

Sample the Cuervo to check for tonsisticity.

Next, sift two cups of salt, or something. Who geeves a sheet. Check the Jose Cuervo. Now shift the lemon juice and strain your nuts.

Add one table.

Add a spoon of sugar, or somefink. Whatever you can find.

Greash the oven.

Turn the cake tin 360 degrees and try not to fall over.

Don't forget to beat off the turner.

Finally, throw the bowl through the window, finish the Cose Juervo and make sure to put the stove in the wishdasher.

Cherry Mistmas !

Gary, hope you do not mind. But I had to borrow that one! LOL

The three stages of tequila:
1) I can dance.
2) I can fly.
3) I am invisible.

HeatsTwice said:
The three stages of tequila:
1) I can dance.
2) I can fly.
3) I am invisible.

I was carried to my room by friends. Then took bass boat out in morning after. Went to front, lowered trolling motor, fell to knees. Lifted Trolling motor, crawled to drivers seat, back to marina. Guy at dock says...Are you the guy who drank all the tequila last night?

Was famous for years in my company for the night I did that.

I've been catching and cooking fish since I was a kid, 40 some years ago. I got this recipe from a friend and found my new favorite way to cook fish. I was out on the ice last week end, brought home a nice bucket of crappie. Here's the best tasting crappie a guy can make, any fish would be great this way;

Things you'll need;
1-2 lbs fish fillets - I've used panfish & walleye, I'm sure it'll work with most fish.
bowl of milk
Ritz crackers ground up in a zip lock bag
salt & pepper
1/2 stick butter
tub of store bought shredded parmesan cheese
good size baking dish with a cover
oven at 375 degrees

Start by wetting fish in milk
mix crackers and salt/pepper use as much or little as you like
bread the fish with crackers
lay them in baking dish, one to two deep is ok
cover with parmesan cheese, as much or little as you like, I use a little less than 1/2 a tub
melt the butter, and pour it over the whole dish
bake it covered for 25-30 minutes

This is one of the best tasting and easy to make fish dishes I know of, enjoy with a rum & coke, as much or little as you like!

itsanaddiction said:
I've been catching and cooking fish since I was a kid, 40 some years ago.

Me too. Thanks for this recipe. It is very similar to a popular one here;

In a baking pan spread out some scallops
cover lightly with crushed ritz crackers
drizzle with a stick of melted butter
bake.

Unbelievable!

Hopefully I will get to try your version shortly, thanks.

I was really quite surprised that I haven't seen any entries here for Venison, so far!! This being "hunting season" and all.

-Soupy1957

Pork tenderloin (not loin) seasoned with salt and pepper and herbs - wrapped in thick cut bacon (tooth pick in place if needed) and grilled to a perfect medium - pair with a disposable pan with a heavy layer of olive oil and butter with onion a garlic sauteed (I do this on the grill, also) and then cubed potatoes and sliced mushrooms, stirred frequently. You will want to start the tatters first, the tenderloin only takes about 20 min. to cook.

Basically - anything wrapped in bacon, fried in butter or covered in gravy gets my vote.

soupy1957 said:
I was really quite surprised that I haven't seen any entries here for Venison, so far!! This being "hunting season" and all.

-Soupy1957

Two days ago, when I got up, there were four deer in our back yard munching on plants. My daughter took a bunch of pictures. My son took out his wrist rocket and started out to thwack one in the butt to chase them off. Before he got a shot off, they bolted. Three jumped over the fence, the forth slammed head on into a fence post and broke its neck. Dead.

We called animal control who wanted $250 to cart it away. Then my son called some of his boy scout friends to ask if any knew how to clean a deer. 20 minutes later we started skinning, gutting, and quatrering the thing. 2 hours later I had 40 pounds of venison ready for the BBQ and freezer.

I think I need some recipes for venison.

My venison recipe is very simple;

kill a deer
remove back straps
sprinkle steaks lightly with Lowrys
wrap in bacon, stick a toothpick through to hold the bacon on
BBQ on low, do not over cook! It should be red in the middle
If you must use some kind of sauce, use a little regular Baby Rays, the best BBQ sauce ever made.
Serve with steamed broccoli, a baked sweet potato with butter & a little brown sugar, and a good bread - I like a small loaf of rosemary/garlic.
Male sure you have a glass of merlot with it, you are now in heaven.
This is the only way my wife will eat venison. Unfortunately she really likes it and eats most of my best venison!

What is "best venison"? People are always telling me that it is usually very gamey. But this deer is not at all. Probably because its eaten so much of my landscapeing.

I've found a lot people don't treat the venison very well, it sits around too long before being processed, it sits in the freezer too long giving it a bad taste, it isn't wrapped very well and gets freezer burned, etc. The best venison comes from proper care of your meat. This season, a nice 8pt buck came into range at 3pm opening day, it met my 30.06 with one well placed heart shot at 3:01pm. it was rinsed with cool water and was hanging in the pole shed by 4pm. After dinner I processed it myself, the steaks and roasts were in airtight food saver bags and frozen by the next morning. The trimmings went into a refrigerator, and a few days later I ground my own burger and added just the right amount of beef trimmings, it tastes so much better than pork trimmings. I used to take my deer in for processing until I learned how easy it is to skin and butcher a deer. This way I know I got my own deer meat, and it was processed quickly and properly. Plus it's a great occasion to spend time with friends, including my good friend "Captain Morgan".

Man, I wish a deer would break it's neck in my back yard. Kudos for keeping the meat. Venison should not taste gamey, if anything, it is milder than beef.

Jags,

That pork sounds great. So many people overcook pork for fear of trichinosis still. There is nothing like a medium piece of pork with the slightest pink in the center. It can be so juicy if cooked right. I make herb-encrusted sliced pork tenderloin sandwiches with Sweet Baby Ray's and cheese. I use a chewy roll and grill it in butter in a skillet with a grill weight on it. Almost like a cuban sandwich. My other favorite is pork chops with Tony Chachere's creole seasoning rubbed in. Pork has lots of potential, it just needs to be cooked properly. Apple wood smoked ribs for New Year's eve. Damn, now I'm hungry.

itsanaddiction said:
My venison recipe is very simple;

kill a deer
remove back straps

If by "remove back straps" you are talking about the scent glands..........correct! Very important to do so as soon as you can, (along with gutting, of course).

-Soupy1957

fishingpol said:
Jags,

...with the slightest pink in the center.

You got it! Now if ya wanna talk ribs:

Attachments

• 100_1436sm2.jpg
    100_1436sm2.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 235
Jags, looks like a factory built smoker? Around here we have ones about half that size. Someday...

Dune said:
Jags, looks like a factory built smoker?

Nope Dune - thats a Jags built. It started life as a bread rack.

Jags said:
fishingpol said:
Jags,

...with the slightest pink in the center.

You got it! Now if ya wanna talk ribs:

Great smoker Jags.

As for deer meat, I love it.
I gut and quarter in the bush right where it falls.
Take it home, and hang it in the old barn on meat hooks, skin it, and leave it hang for a while, depends on the temp outside.

Then I cut it and wrap it myself.
I turn all meat thats not a nice cut into ground, but as the deer are usually so lean, I actually grind and blend in a little fat with it.
I do not to often shoot deer, I usually try for a moose tag, and bison tag, and take those, and then trade meat with friends, for variety.
I will trade some moose, and on the rare occasion I get a draw, and actually manage to shoot a bison, that to, for say a few birds, deer meat, and possibly a few salmon/halibut.

Its nice to have a huge deepfreeze or 2 full of good meat and fish.

I get my moose almost every year at least, and on years I get just a moose, might try for a deer to.
I no longer hunt for fowl, did a few years when I was young, but now my browning 12 gauge just collects dust.

Anyone want to trade a mint browning 12 gauge for a springfield 1911 model .45 ? lol Joking

Jags said:
Dune said:

Ah, I almost scored a bread rack just for that purpose once. How do you create the smoke?

Dune said:
Jags said:
Dune said:

Ah, I almost scored a bread rack just for that purpose once. How do you create the smoke?

I have a rack above the heat source for wood chips.
I can fire it with propane or charcoal and I am a firm believer of Hickory smoke. Mesquite is a noxious weed that our Texas brothers have inflicted upon us. Convincing some people that it has value as an export to the rest of the states.

Apple on pork is another goto for me. Maple, cherry and even Oak if a lighter "smokiness" is the ticket.

Jags said:
I am a firm believer of Hickory smoke. Mesquite is a noxious weed that our Texas brothers have inflicted upon us. Convincing some people that it has value as an export to the rest of the states.

Apple on pork is another goto for me. Maple, cherry and even Oak if a lighter "smokiness" is the ticket.

I stick with just fruitwood, Apple, maple, cherry and pear.

Dune said:

I agree with those choices also, but a good stick of jerky should really be hickory in my opinion. ;-)

Reviews for pablo's chili con carne de diablo:
"Is this chili, or did I bite into the sun?" -Sean from MA
"Paul's Chili is a boot continually kicking you in the face" -George Orwell

3-4 pounds venison or beef- worst cut that you have
3 habanero peppers (sometimes they're much hotter than others, so watch it!)
2 15oz cans crushed tomatoes
2 large yellow onions
1 large bell pepper
4-8 cloves garlic (or more if you're like me!)
1 tps black pepper
10 Tblsp good chile powder- I like grinding anchos etc
1 Tblsp ground cumin seed
2 tsp salt
2 cups strong hot black coffee
1 cup hot water
1 tblsp basil
3 Tblsp Olive oil
Toilet paper
Crying towel
Stock the bathroom with toilet paper and crying towel.
Cut the venison into fingertip sized cubes (nice to use 1/2 pound of it ground, if you like). Heat the olive oil in a frying pan, add the venison, 1/2 the garlic, 1tsp salt, and one coarse chopped onion and really sear it very well. Heat the crushed tomatoes in a large pot, add the seared venison/onions/etc. Rinse the frying pan out with the hot water- dump that in the pot. Now rinse with one cup coffee, and pour that in the pot. Drink the other cup of coffee. Add half of the chile powder and half the cumin. Chop up the habaneros well (WEAR RUBBER GLOVES!!) add half of those and the other tsp salt. Simmer for about an hour. Add everything else (chop the pepper) and simmer for another 30 minutes.
All is adjustable to taste. The habaneros are (along with the Scotch bonnet) the hottest pepper available in most supermarkets dried or fresh. They produce a slow burn- starting out not so bad, but believe me you'll have to pause half way through a bowl.
Make pinto beans or kidneys on the side- folks can add them if they like, or not if they don't like, and no one gets killed in a beans vs. no beans arguement. Texans say "Cooks that know beans about chile know they aint no beans in chile"- well maybe. I make corn bread (1/2 sweet) - sometimes with jalepenos. Crumble into a bowl to attenuate heat.
BTW- making chile is an all day affair for me. I let it stew longer than the hour, and for a tough piece of meat, 2- 2.5h isn't unheard of. Only got to make it with venison a few times. Just don't add the rest of the spices until 20-30 minutes before it's done- or they lose their flavor and heat.

Jags said:
Dune said:

I agree with those choices also, but a good stick of jerky should really be hickory in my opinion. ;-)

I don't know if hickory grows around here. I am building a new smoker about twice the size of my Little Chief from a stainless cabinet I found.

I'll buy some hickory chips to try, even though buying something I otherwise would get for free seems wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.