What do you do with wood like this? Pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
I dropped the ball and left some oak in big pieces and rounds outside for a year. The fungus immediately started to grow under the bark. I'm removing the bark when I split it but part of the wood is already infested and it's a pain in the ass to remove it. It's lighter wood on the outside in the pictures. Should I try to get rid of it as well? I'm worried it's going to start new fungus growth. It's not easy to remove, it is still not punky and attached to the wood.

IMG_0918.jpeg IMG_0919.jpeg IMG_0920.jpeg IMG_0921.jpeg IMG_0922.jpeg IMG_0923.jpeg IMG_0927.jpeg

Burn it
Oak fungus won't spread now that it is split
and drying it will also dry up to nothing

Reactions: EbS-P and Dmitry
oak is good and semi rot resistant. It will be fine .

Split it, stack it, burn it.

Drill some holes in it and insert some shitake plugs/spores - you might as well get some good edible mushrooms out of that oak. You can burn it later. Oak is used in Japan for shitake mushrooms. Now, you will be doing the opposite - you'll want to keep the moisture trapped in the wood. So, you will need to water it and tarp it all tight.

Last edited:
Reactions: sloeffle
Pretty common around here to have a bit of rot/fungus in the sapwood of oak (lots of dead-standing winter moth victims here with that condition). It seasons just fine and in my many years of processing and burning similar, never had an issue with it spreading. Just season it and burn it -

One of the only loads of red oak i ever got was even punkier than that. I still split it and seasoned it for 3 years. It burned great, and once stacked/covered the rot didn't get any worse.

Reactions: bigealta
Yep that wood is no good, lucky for you I also offer free wood disposal you just have to drop it off