What do you recommend: Looking for Short, but Wide Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jcbmv11

Jan 6, 2023
Sturbridge, MA
I am ready to purchase a new wood stove and I am on the hunt for a good recommendation. I am looking for a wood stove that is short, so the rear-exit pipe can clear the top of my fireplace opening, which is only 24.75" from the hearth. The stove can be as wide as it wants. In fact, I would like a big stove that is very well built.

Thanks!

I am ready to purchase a new wood stove and I am on the hunt for a good recommendation. I am looking for a wood stove that is short, so the rear-exit pipe can clear the top of my fireplace opening, which is only 24.75" from the hearth. The stove can be as wide as it wants. In fact, I would like a big stove that is very well built.

Thanks!
At that height you won’t find much of anything. I would recommend an insert. I’ve done lots of looking.

Yes, this is insert territory. What are the fireplace dimensions, front and rear, including depth? How large of an area will it be heating?

The Woodstock Progressive Hybrid with short legs (5”) has a 6” flue exit and the center of that is at 22.75. That I think is a bit too high for your requirement.