What exactly are the heat exchanger tubes?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ylomnstr

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
May 28, 2008
Staatsburg, NY
I'm pretty sure all pellet stoves have these, and the tube scraper on the top of the stove that we're supposed to pull daily. When I pull mine, I see the ash fall down into the burn area. What exactly are these tubes doing? Is this where the heat actually comes out from? If so, I understand why doing this daily would be a good idea.

The dirty ash and other impurities deposit on the side of the tubes that are in the firebox. These hinder the transference of heat to the air that is being blown through the inside of the exchanger tubes. The cleaner the better for efficiency, and hotter heat.

ylomnstr said:
I'm pretty sure all pellet stoves have these, and the tube scraper on the top of the stove that we're supposed to pull daily. When I pull mine, I see the ash fall down into the burn area. What exactly are these tubes doing? Is this where the heat actually comes out from? If so, I understand why doing this daily would be a good idea.

The problem I see with tube scrapers is the push/pull rod opening allowing uncontrolled air to enter the firebox and smoke to escape if the power goes out.
But I guess in real practice it hasn`t much effect on either . The Harman`s seem to be a PITA to scrape the ash buildup off the triangular shaped tube bottoms.

I Use a piece of Emery cloth as the tubes on my Enviro EF3 are round and about 3/4 inch diameter,easy to slide the cloth up over and sand it abit as the slide rod setup on these is C.R.A.P and only works when the stove is warm..

This is what I use with the vac when I clean the heat exchangers on my stove.
Only clean them once a week when the stove is cold.

Attachments

• wallpaper_brush.jpg
    wallpaper_brush.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 391
Hmm, looks good for the bottom and sides but how does it reach the top of the tubes??

gutterboy2ca said:
Hmm, looks good for the bottom and sides but how does it reach the top of the tubes??

heat exchanger on my stove is accordian shaped, not tubes

tinkabranc said:

That stiff brush is a wicked cool idea! The Harman tool doesn't work all that well on the heat exchangers. Thanks for posting it!!! :)

Gio said:
The problem I see with tube scrapers is the push/pull rod opening allowing uncontrolled air to enter the firebox and smoke to escape if the power goes out.
But I guess in real practice it hasn`t much effect on either . The Harman`s seem to be a PITA to scrape the ash buildup off the triangular shaped tube bottoms.
My tube scraper doesn't have any effect on air -- they're simply a mechanical slide to scrape the ash off the tubes. They operate on the exterior of the tubes (like taking a sleeve and running it the length of the tube) and don't involve the air system. I "scrape" the tubes when I fill it once a day and that takes care of the fly ash that otherwise begins to coat the tubes. Once a week, I vacuum the tube surfaces as well while I'm in there cleaning the rest of the stove.

Although the rod has to enter the firebox to be able to do its work, whatever hole it has into the firebox does not seem to affect the air system - mine is under the hopper lid and when I lift the lid or pull the rod, there's no change to the fire. I've also had no smoke escape it even when starting up and it's smoky inside the firebox. Not sure exactly how they manage that as you would think there'd be a straight channel to the outside that the rod rides in but never an issue with mine. I think it's similar to the effect that the opening for the pellets to enter the auger has on things - it's there but the system is designed with its impact already accounted for (my hopper does not have a "seal" that prevents air from entering it).

Jim
(Lennox Profile 30 Insert)

DOBS said:
tinkabranc said:

That stiff brush is a wicked cool idea! The Harman tool doesn't work all that well on the heat exchangers. Thanks for posting it!!! :)

It's just a cheap wallpaper paste brush but works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.