What fireplace insert to go with...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

noobly

Nov 20, 2019
Ontario
We are moving into a 1,200 sq foot bungalow, lots of windows, will be going into an old stone fireplace, (33" wide, 22" deep)
we are from Ontario Canada so it can get pretty cold.
(added a picture of the set up below)

cost is not an issue, not too worried about looks, just want the best out there as far as consistently heating the house.

From the few shops we have been to these were the 2 that have been recommended (i'm skeptical that these are the "best" though)
Jotal c 550 rockland
Hampton Hi300

Thank you so much for your time and help!

Attachments

• What fireplace insert to go with...
    fireplace.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 87
There are many inserts out there. What is "best" is subjective. Some folks want best looking. Others want best in a power outage, and others want the longest burn time.

Some factors to consider -what is the chimney height? If it is on the short side then the best insert will be one that breathes more easily on a short stack. Enviro and Pacific Energy inserts work well in this regard. The PE Super insert is right-sized for this application.

The Hampton and the Jotul are quite different inserts. One projects a bit onto the hearth and the other is flush. A flush insert is more dependent on the blower to get the heat out. If power outages are common, then I would avoid a flush insert. The Jotul C450 might be a little better.

Reactions: noobly
Some factors to consider -what is the chimney height? If it is on the short side then the best insert will be one that breathes more easily on a short stack. Enviro and Pacific Energy inserts work well in this regard. The PE Super insert is right-sized for this application.

EDIT: Just looked into the Boston 1700, that may be the one!

the chimney is roughly 15-20ft, we are both shift workers (i should have mentioned that in the original post) the house has an electric furnace but the goal would be to use it as least as possible, thank you for the help!

Last edited:
Just get Blaze King Princess insert . I highly recommend it. I too have 1200 sq ft . I’m not sure about the weather in Ontario. Here in CT this insert is perfect.

I'm a PE fan ;):) My Pacific is the Supers older brother, and is heating 1200 + of this joint.

That being said, you are probably going to have to extend the hearth area for safety reasons. I had to extend mine.

Welcome to the forums, and get cracking on firewood now !!!

The Boston insert is one of the best lookers on the market. It's a nice insert and well made.