What happened to Fisher stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Fox

Jan 12, 2006
Well, I just finished reading the short book regarding the history of the development of the Fisher Stoves. It didn't say what happened regarding the fact they aren't made today. Back in the late 70's I bought a Papa Bear and loved it. Prior to buying my current Blaze King I searched for Fisher Stoves and found out they are no longer made. So...why is that? Did some company buy him out and shut down production or what? If so, what company bought him out?

lower fossil suel energy costs, followed by the EPA destroyed many old stove companies..

It's true that there are still so many Papa, Mama, and baby bear stoves "on the road" so to speak and most everyone who had them loved them. I know several people who run them today. It's a shame they didn't decide to change with the times and make those workhorse stoves leaders in technology as well!

I burned a Mama Bear for about 20 years. What a mess!! Creosote and condensation dripping from the pipes. Had an outside flue and less than seasoned wood. I don't miss those days. But one thing I can say, when I retired it That Mama Bear was as sound as the day it was new with the exception of one broken fire brick. It is a shame that a company that built that kind of quality could not make it in today's world.

Did many stove makers make that transition? Englander certainly did. Living in VA I still see a lot of the old Englanders with the double horseshoe logo on the door and today they still make awesome EPA workhorse stoves. I guess Buck Stoves would certainly qualify too! Anyone else?

What ever happened to Bob Fisher, the founder, after he was forced to retire due to stress and exhaustion.

My guess is that the company lost it's heart when he was no longer running the show.

tickbitty said:
Did many stove makers make that transition? Englander certainly did. Living in VA I still see a lot of the old Englanders with the double horseshoe logo on the door and today they still make awesome EPA workhorse stoves. I guess Buck Stoves would certainly qualify too! Anyone else?

BK is young but has been going since 1977. Thats 33yrs.

I prefered my Fisher Mama over my newer Napoleon.

I'd love to try one of them New Zealand Fishers.

Shenandoah is still making the stoves they did back in smoke dragon days. Saw a brand new R65(barrel stove) and R77 the rectangular one that took real long splits on a showroom floor back in the fall and was surprised. Still non EPA so there must be a missing part to the story as Fisher had a very good brand name.

EDIT as far as lower fossil fuel prices goes I don't buy that. Mostly because burning wood is one of the few things modern man can do really save money. And I'm thinking that appeals to a lot of folks that don't mind spending money or tangible heirloom things but balk at renting or paying for fuel oil...cause at the end of year all your left with is a handful of useless receipts.

Craig or someone else may be able to correct me, but I seem to recall as of the late '80s (and presumably for a period of time before and after), the EPA allowed NO exempt stoves. Any stove built for sale HAD to be certified... (which killed my own improbable daydream of building custom stoves).

If that was indeed the case, many/most small time stove fab shops likely closed up for that reason... and the prohibitive cost of certification.

Several years later, I noticed a junker box stove in a big box store (where else) that was obviously not EPA compliant, and it ticked me off royal, knowing there must have been a lot of decent quality stove builders who would have been happy to continue their existing product lines.

To this day, I don't understand why EPA permits the exempt stoves, as the use guidelines are so easily circumvented.

Peter B.

-----

where we live here in the south east just about everyone i know is running a fisher stove . i have the baby mama and grandma and the newwer fisher insert i got last year have posted some pics. of it awhile back. it is also a great stove no complaints from me or everyone i know using them.

Here is a news article from 1984 giving more company history. I sent this to Craig and he will be adding it to the Hearth Wiki pages. Enjoy.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...WoVAAAAIBAJ&sjid=iuEDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6240,5948702

As far as Bob, believed to be alive at 68 with his wife (69). This man only wanted to build something to heat his home cheaper than what he had. Basically lost his job while doing it, and only wanted to make a living making his stove. Business, lawyers, people he couldn't control spiraled out of control and obviously he wanted out, or he would contact someone or post here. At least he is /was able to live on the royalties of his idea. His full name is easily search-able through his patents, and you can find his fathers patents on the now famous draft cap. Looks like he wants nothing to do with the hearth industry, and knows his body won't take the stress. Hopefully everyone leaves him alone. He just may be a recluse and come out with a shotgun, so I don't advise anyone getting any ideas. Perhaps it's better to leave well enough alone. Thanking you in advance!

My question is WHERE are all the stoves as shown in his patent (3 piece top) that were made by many licensed shops across the US with roughly a 600 piece quota a year ! If there were up to 25 fabricators, most making well over their quota, there should be some surfacing. These will no doubt last the owners a lifetime, but on eBay and craigslist I have only seen the one piece top made after the demand surpassed welding the three piece tops together. I have been watching for years, and able to collect only the mass produced versions. Sooner or later one or more should show up, but will anyone know what it is, and how much will it go for?? Anyone here ever seen, or have one that the upper cook surface plate overhangs the center angled, sloping top piece? It will have a little brim, like the top plate that overhangs the front.
I do have a nice bronze Fisher Stove belt buckle that was available to the dealers only, and have never seen another.
There is also some discrepancy as to which feet were the first, or original design. I'm trying to document if the straight version, facing straight ahead was the first, or the angled version. Some are also marked Eugene Oregon, others are not.

Update 2/22/10;
The straight version is only found on newer stoves with angled legs, and the angled version is shown in the pre 80 brochure.

I see non-epa stoves all over the place. for example

1261 Logwood Wood Stove

http://www.industrydoc.com/WP-3/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Boxwood-Stove.jpg

owners manual

http://www.quakepro.com/stoves/classic/pdf/1261 Manual.pdf

It is exempt by EPA method 28A

here is a description of this "method"

http://www.epa.gov/ttn/emc/promgate/m-28a.pdf

I'd say if you want to make a homemade stove you are good to go so long as it is UL approved and meets this criteria. Heck, look at the englander 12, that's not EPA approved either. I believe that is listed as a "freestanding fireplace" ?

pen

Here is another news article about the changes coming for different stove manufacturers when new laws go into effect in 1988. This gives some insight into a few other companies as well.

September 24 1985, The Register Guard, Eugene Oregon;
Earl Wing (Owner / President) of Fisher - Century Corp. had 35 workers in Eugene Stove Mfg. Works. Producing 18 models in 1985, stated they would be making only 5 models the following year.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...WgVAAAAIBAJ&sjid=duEDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5314,5786156

The link takes you to page 72. The pages were scanned sideways, and the second page of the article (section D-2) is at the top right corner of page 73.

The last 5 models made bore the Roman numeral VI, and this article states in 86 there would only be 5 models built. These are the numeral VI stoves, further convincing me that the VI models were design year designations. The Roman numeral III G/M and G/P however started in 1980. So the search goes on where this III designation came from. Since there are so many pre 80 G/M and G/P with the new door style, on the old box design.......... they may have considered that the second generation. When the box was redesigned and baffle added in 1980 they used numeral III for the third redesign of the stove. I can't come up with any other reason for a III since they existed before 1983.

Pine Knot said:
I burned a Mama Bear for about 20 years. What a mess!! Creosote and condensation dripping from the pipes. Had an outside flue and less than seasoned wood. I don't miss those days. But one thing I can say, when I retired it That Mama Bear was as sound as the day it was new with the exception of one broken fire brick. It is a shame that a company that built that kind of quality could not make it in today's world.

Rewind 1982;

Thank you for your inquiry;
Fisher Stoves International recommends the Insulated Dura Vent chimney, and supplies them in kit form when purchased with your new stove. The manual supplied with your stove states on page 12 to "Orient the connector pipe section (36"), (#8636) so that the open liner end (crimped) is pointed downward, This insures the drip-free integrity. (See drawing)" This condensation can be greatly eliminated by using correctly seasoned wood. Please refer to page 21 in the troubleshooting section of your manual;
#2 MOISTURE
Problem 3. Water vapor in smoke condenses on cooler surfaces.

Solution 3a. Minimize the water vapor by using dry, seasoned wood.
Solution 3b. Avoid green wood during periods of slow burning conditions.
#3 TEMPERATURE OF CHIMNEY
Problem 4. Creosote will condense on a cool surface.

Solution 4a. We do not recommend using thermal-siphon type chimneys as they operate in a very cool mode and may cause creosote to condense.
Solution 4b. Chimneys which rise in the house's interior will not cool as rapidly as chimneys installed on the outside of the house.

Your fisher Stove has been designed to give you many years of enjoyment. Please feel free to ask our factory trained experts at your nearest Fisher Stove Showroom any questions you may have regarding our products and installation.
Thank you for contacting Fisher Stoves Int.

Reactions: Todd67
If a mfg makes under a certin # of stvs per year there is an EPA loop hole. Fisher did not change change when EPA came into the pic in 1986. Englender was not even around at that time.
Fisher made stoves when all you did was weld em and send em. To day a company will spend an average of 1.2 mil before the first stove goes out the door for sale.

humpin iron said:
Fisher did not change change when EPA came into the pic in 1986. Englender was not even around at that time.

Yes they were.

http://www.falcongalv.com/stoves.html

These stoves remind me of the fisher papa bear, or at least what I remember of the papa bear.

These stoves are still manufactured and sold out of Winnipeg, MB. At best I would suggest that they might have a baffle in them but there is no mention in the limited information on the site about any bells and whistles on the stoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.