What is a good natural base for a stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DaBurner87

Sep 17, 2021
New York
I only have a 22 inch depth ledge to place a wood burning stove, and I'm looking to put a heavy natural stone down that extends past the ledge a little bit to give me more room, and be something that looks amazing. The stone I want would ideally be about 4 inches thick, 36-48 inches wide, but I'm not sure what type of stones are better suited for heat. Please let me know what a good option would be.

Need more details on what stove this is for. What is the floor surface below this ledge? If not totally non-combustible it will need protection.

Most stone will do fine. The temp below the stove will not be super hot. Use what is available and affordable. What are you considering, bluestone, granite?

Make sure the stone is supported properly. You may not have enough sheer strength with some materials.

Well I've seen some nice stoves locally, and some very nice stones to use as a base, however my issue is that every stove I've seen requires 18 inches in front of it to be no combustible flooring. The problem is I only have a 22" platform to play with and can only extend that a few extra inches which would hang out over the platform. At best I think I have 26 inches from the back wall. Even after using double walled pipe, and a heat shield on the wall to reduce clearances I can't find anything that reduces the front clearance or any way around it. Any ideas appreciated.

Many stoves have a 16" in front requirement for the US, but the main issue is the rear clearance. What is the wall construction?

Drywall. I could easily gut it and put cement board, and a heat shield.
That won't reduce clearances below 12" from the back of the stove unless the manual specifically lists lower, tested clearances.

There are two threads dancing around the same issue. Some of the assumptions may be incorrect. May I suggest starting afresh and defining the goals and options in this house? Is the stove mostly for ambient night and weekend fires or for 24/7 heating? How large an area if for heating? Maybe there is another location that could work? What are the budget constraints?

I am not familiar with side load stoves. Please explain.

I live on Long Island, New York. This stove is only going to be used from November through February and usually just once or twice a week on weekends, and definitely around the holidays. Wood is in my veins. I have a sawmill, and an abundance of wood. I have another fireplace in the house but due to its location we barely use it.

This house was renovated in the 80s and the garage was converted to the main entrance and main living room. They also completely relocated the kitchen and main bathroom in this area when they expanded the house so it is the area we frequent.

The other side of the house with the real fireplace is in a small den with a bedroom roght next to it. We dont even have a couch or tv in this room. Its basically the kids play area for now until i knock down the wall and make it the master bedroom. But thats in the future.

Underneath the laminate is OSB. Not sure whats under that.

Would it be possible to locate a stove in a different location in this area?

Side load stoves have the door on the side. There are also top loading stoves. They have different clearance requirements.

Side load stoves have the door on the side. There are also top loading stoves. They have different clearance requirements.
Yes, some will have reduced front clearance requirements if they are side-load only, but the rear clearance also needs to be considered.

Oh, 100%. You were already discussing the rear clearances. I figured I'd offer suggestions regarding the front.

Oh, 100%. You were already discussing the rear clearances. I figured I'd offer suggestions regarding the front.
I was thinking Woodstock's stoves which have fairly high rear clearance requiremnts. Did you have another stove in mind?

No. I'm pretty out of the loop on available stoves and their clearances. I just saw an issue with front pad clearance and offered a couple suggestions. Its probably been close to a decade since I was in the market for a stove and actively researched stoves and CTC. And some of the stoves I was familiar with are no longer made due to the latest round of emissions legislation. I dont know how you keep up with it all.

And some of the stoves I was familiar with are no longer made due to the latest round of emissions legislation. I dont know how you keep up with it all.
I here ya. The past couple years have required relearning all new options in most stove lines. Hard on these old brain cells.