What is a "Greenfield" & does it connect to a 110 conduit on my wall or do I need a 220?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joellehiggins

Jun 14, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
I am replacing commercial refrigeration equipment at my store. The new equipment supplier said "it uses a flexible 4 greenfield conduit which ties into the existing electrical plug in the wall." But my confusion is the wall outlet plug has 4, 110 outlet plugs. I do not have anymore room to add to my electrical panel box. Would the wiring I already have be sufficient or is it something above & beyond such as a 220?

Please answer as simply as possible. This is all new to me. Thank you.

Greenfield is just flexible metal conduit. You question isn't possible to answer. Does the equipment require 220?

TIme to hire an electrician . A four conductor cable implies a 3 phase appliance (commercial equipment frequently is three phase). If you have three phase in the building you will have a separate panel, if you don't have three phase n the building, you will need a new three phase service which is quite expensive to install and generally has a special rate. There are special converters that allow a three phase device to run on single phase power but they are expensive and introduce a loss in efficiency..

At minimum your refrigeration system would be 220v single phase if commercial equipment. Most Commercial ref. is 3 phase but not all. Completely separate circuit from the outlet box. If your area is a rental the ref. power may be coming from a separate panel not located in your area. Your best bet is to hire a lic. electrician. There are codes that must be adhered to particularly in retail establishments. Failure to do so could result in fines and temporary closing of your establishment until properly corrected. You may be required to purchase a permit from the local gov, as well for your intended project. ( they just love to get their hands in your pocket.)

TIme to hire an electrician . A four conductor cable implies a 3 phase appliance (commercial equipment frequently is three phase). If you have three phase in the building you will have a separate panel, if you don't have three phase n the building, you will need a new three phase service which is quite expensive to install and generally has a special rate. There are special converters that allow a three phase device to run on single phase power but they are expensive and introduce a loss in efficiency..
Lots of 220 single phase has 4 conductor plugs these days. Separate neutral wire apparently makes splitting off 110 inside the appliance easier.

Seen plenty of 220 single phase with only 2 wires- conduit made up the combined neutral and earth ( not code now days) but back in the day was acceptable. Caused me no end of grief trouble shooting newer machines on that stuff in old buildings- conduit connections would oxidize and become intermittent. Had one where if a heavy truck passed by out side the line would drop out from vibrations, then be perfectly fine until the next truck went past. Took a bit to latch onto that one. Didn't help that it was a brand new prototype machine being used as a test bed as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.