What is maximum height for single wall pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mpjohnny5

Hearth Supporter
Oct 7, 2010
Southern CT
Can't find this info anywhere, heard somebody on here say 8 feet. I talked to the inspector he knew nothing about it Im trying to just find it somewhere to be sure. I need to go 19 feet straight up from my Hearthstone Heritage

I'd say that 19' is too much. I've seen single wall runs that are 14-16' that have major creosote buildup near the top, just before it hits the chimney. I think it's safe to say that it can be higher than 8' though. Depends on the stove and heat loss to the flue.

This has been discussed before but I am not sure if there is any agreement. Personally if I had to go that high I would use double walled pipe rather than single wall just so you would not lose too much heat from that flue. You do need a certain amount of heat to carry all the junk out of the chimney.

I was the person who originally said 8', but after doing some research I can only find that in Canada, they limit the runs of single wall to 10'. I can't find anything in the states which limits the run. However, as Dennis stated, that's quite a long run, and you can end up in a situation where the long run allows the flue gases to cool too much with a single wall pipe, thus increasing your deposits. Holy run on sentence, Batman!

Most stove manufacturers seem to say no more than 10 feet, some say 8 ft. For a 19' run, definitely go double-wall connector.

Manufactures of the pipe your saying right??

Just to clarify the single wall run will be 16 feet to get to where it changes to double to go through roof for another 3 feet.

Just to calarify, whether it is code or not, most people feel that double wall should be your venting of choice in your situation. ;-)
Cheers

Talked to the dealer who does installs and they said its not a problem they run single wall that high all the time.

MPJohnny5 said:
Talked to the dealer who does installs and they said its not a problem they run single wall that high all the time.
consider installing tee near stove so u can pop the cap & look up the chimney with a mirror. may make cleaning easier too

Some dealers can be full of poop and may say anything to make a sale.

From the manual:

Long runs of stovepipe to increase heat dispersal are not
recommended.
Using longer lengths of stovepipe or more
connecting elbows than necessary increase the chances of
draft resistance and the accumulation of creosote buildup.

Status
Not open for further replies.