What is this modified Fisher?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

930dreamer

Burning Hunk
Jun 3, 2013
Amarillo, TX
00H0H_hKN6rw9fNoc_600x450.jpg 00u0u_cZQ07R3deDi_600x450.jpg 00707_5y19QuVIEue_600x450.jpg 01111_3bI1N3pFsEi_600x450.jpg Any idea on this Fisher w/ an ash pan. Not sure if it's an Grand Pa or Ma? I found this on CL and will call about it later today.

Last edited:
Looks like someone had a "better idea" for their pre 1980 Grandpa. It has Grandpa doors, and the barometric box for a barometric damper on the back. (The exhaust goes out the top, and the rear is an air intake for barometric damper installation) That would be fine if it were converted for coal, but it would need an adjustable air intake below the grate and a way to shake the grate. So it looks like just a way to dump ash without shoveling it out. There would have to be good gasket on that pan and seal well to be airtight as well. Did they extend the stove body down so the pan sits in it and only has to seal on the front faceplate?? It certainly can't be able to leak any air in through the bottom. Looks like a homemade addition to me. If it were factory, I would hope the draft caps would be on the bottom door, and only a very small intake through the door for secondary air above the fire. It was well known by Fisher and a part of the design to burn wood on a firebrick bottom with at least an inch of ash left after cleaning. You want glowing coals in the morning in the ash where air can't make them burn off fast. You then rake the ash out in front of the coals where it has burned out near the air intakes. Then rake the coals ahead, and reload on the glowing coal bed. This isn't going to burn wood near as long as a solid bottom. At least it's easy to brick across the grate hole.
Here's the only stove made by Fisher with an ash pan, and the only stove designed to burn coal. (Coal Bear)

Coal Bear Painted 4.JPG

Looks like someone had a "better idea" for their pre 1980 Grandpa. It has Grandpa doors, and the barometric box for a barometric damper on the back. That would be fine if it were converted for coal, but it would need an adjustable air intake below the grate and a way to shake the grate. So it looks like just a way to dump ash without shoveling it out. There would have to be good gasket on that pan and seal well to be airtight as well. Did they extend the stove body down so the pan sits in it and only has to seal on the front faceplate?? It certainly can't be able to leak any air in through the bottom. Looks like a homemade addition to me. If it were factory, I would hope the draft caps would be on the bottom door, and only a very small intake through the door for secondary air above the fire.
Here's the only stove made by Fisher with an ash pan, and the only stove designed to burn coal. (Coal Bear)

View attachment 113520

I noticed the ash pan quality is a bit off compaired to the rest of the stove. Thank you for the information.

I talked with the seller today, he had a friend remove the legs and built an ash pan/frame for the stove to sit on.

Status
Not open for further replies.