What is this thing in my fireplace? (pictures)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I could take that metal trim piece out and move the thermometer back a bit further, it just won't look as "nice". Having a IR thermometer would be good too, I will look into that. If I take the metal trim off and move some insulation, I should be able to get a shot at the flue collar.

I just wish I knew where the smell is coming from. Maybe it will burn off yet, but we have a good number of hot fires so far.

What is the max and ideal temps the collar should be at?

You can go quite high but 750ish is about my limit. From what I understand you won't get any red glowing until you in the 850-900 range.

Thanks. I will try to find out what the temp is on the collar and keep it under $750.

Status
Not open for further replies.