what kind of animal was this? Warning! It's gross!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

btuser

Minister of Fire
Jan 15, 2009
Principality of Pontinha
I apologize in advance if this is inappropriate. There's a long stretch of conservation land behind our house that's used by every manner of critter in New England. It's not uncommon to find coyote leftovers, carrion, or the odd 1/2 a fish (that my dog's LOVE to roll around in). It's a great place to walk, and unfortunately not uncommon to read about someone's dog losing a limb or life because of illegal trapping. 100% leash for our fur babies.

It was found in a clearing about 3' off the main trail. I'm guessing this came off in a trap, and a dog found it, brought it out to the trail and was relieved of it.
IMG_20150119_123609.jpg side view
IMG_20150119_123543.jpg underside (no pads?)

No tracks, no blood, recently tossed. Looks like am guessing the forepaw of a small unlucky bobcat.

first pic reminds me of a snowshoe hare hind foot a little bit. Certainly the preferred winter food of many New England predators.

Reactions: btuser
first pic reminds me of a snowshoe hare hind foot a little bit. Certainly the preferred winter food of many New England predators.
That's it! Color, hair, nails, and skeletal structure are spot on. We were rife with rabbits in years previous but I haven't seen one since the foxes moved into the neighborhood.

thanks!

First off no need to "apologize in advance" this is not a liberal web site :) jking

Rabbit leftovers from a coyote they are hunting them down big time now. Heard one get taken out the other night out near my brush piles out back......

Trapped for years and yes now and then you end up with collateral in the traps (cats dogs) but will say when there were more trappers here in Mass the wildlife was under much better control then today The beavers along the CT river here are killing trees that are hundreds of years old

I don't think you will see that happen.
That is truly a shame but then I suppose it is also a shame that some of the best hours of my life were spent there...

Reactions: woodgeek and btuser
Okay, I'll bite. What was the Ash Can all about? I assume it was a forum on this BB?

Okay, I'll bite. What was the Ash Can all about? I assume it was a forum on this BB?

Yes - the ash can was another forum only available to members. It was where the potentially hot topics were posted.

I think the the critter in question has been identified...I think the OP is comfortable with the answer and I think we are so far into the weeds that the only just thing to do it let this thread slip into the sunset....

Status
Not open for further replies.