What kind of Fisher stove is this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dsoulliere

Jan 14, 2021
Dewitt, MI
E83D67A7-F71A-4A3F-8D84-5A61FB7FDECB.jpeg
Can anyone please tell me what model this Fisher stove is? I have not been able to see anything like it. It has 2 vents in the doors and2 more up top. The blower blows heated air through 2 vents on the side, any help would be appreciated.

It is a Grandma Bear that someone added the additional intake air dampers on the step top.

There is no way to tell the function of the upper air dampers from the picture. Does the blower force air into pipes or tubes that leads to them, so they are used for hot air exhaust vents using convected air from tubes in firebox, or are they a secondary air source leading into firebox for oxygen above the fire? The blower or the dampers installed on the stove top were not a factory option.

The stove was built as a radiant heater only. A blower moving air through tubes uses convection to heat the air moving it in the room with a blower. If these dampers are being used as hot air outlets, it is similar to what the New England fabricator did, and called it the All-Nighter when they lost their license to build Fisher Stoves.

We would need an inside pic and pictures of blower and vent system that has been added to identify the blower and its function.

This is an All-Nighter with their style blower.

All nighter mich. 1.jpg

The blower attached to the small air inlet on the back as shown below;

All Nighter short legs.jpg

It then exhausted out the upper air vents.

All Nighter Wisconsin 1.jpg Some got creative and added vents into other rooms with the convected heat.

Caught in the act.jpg And some just ran away before they were subjected to such atrocities.

What makes your stove seem different is it is what I call the wide body made by the fabricator in your state as well as Virginia. Notice the distance from door to angle iron on the front allowing the stove face to show on each side. This is a wider than normal firebox. They then had to make extended hinge plates to reach the door hinges. They also welded the hinge plates above and below the doors instead of resting both upper and lower hinge ears on the hinge support plates. I call these "outboard" hinge plates since they are mounted outboard of the door hinge ears. Below is a common Grandma built to the specs I have that are shown on the original drawings sent to fabricators.

eBay sold 1100 Smegineck 1.jpg The two tone is custom paint that shows the door fit and support top and bottom. Notice the hinge plates are welded to the angle iron and angled outward since door hinge ears are wider than the stove. Yours will have the same size door opening as this common Grandma. Grandpa has a larger door opening.
(Your feet are designed to be angled outward, not straight as the older feet in photo above)

One nice feature working on the stove like yours is when someone cuts down the legs to install on a hearth, it's easy to remove the original front legs just like the back to replace with the correct length legs. Normally the backs are easy, but the front has to remove all hinge plates and re-weld to the new legs when they are built normal.

I don't think I ever asked anyone to measure the distance across the top plate on a stove built like yours.
Can you give me the measurement across the top plate? A normal Grandma is 25 1/2 inches.
The cut size of a Grandpa top plate is 29 1/2. Trying to figure out if they were using Grandpa boxes made with Grandma door opening and Grandma doors.