What music mode is good for shop radio?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello
When working in the shop I either do not play the radio or I just play an Internet radio station such as Irish Pub Radio in Dublin Ireland or FIP in France and some iHearth Radio stations like Beatles & Friends, Beach Boys, Amy Winehouse or Blondie and sometimes I play YouTube from my laptop.
Although some YouTube videos are in HD but not Dolby Vision, It is very disappointing that none of these sources are in 3D sound such as DTS-X or Dolby ATMOS but there are some enhancement options?
What would be the best in this list?
What do you use?
Pure Direct
Direct
Stereo
Surround Sound
DTX:Neural X
DTS:Virtual X
Multi-Channel Stereo
Virtual
See options below.

Attachments

• EEFAF9E9-DCE3-45AC-BA3F-650F9F504268.png
    EEFAF9E9-DCE3-45AC-BA3F-650F9F504268.png
    158.5 KB · Views: 263
  • DA004EDA-A2E1-4A2E-AE16-F6F6DDC7FE7F.png
    DA004EDA-A2E1-4A2E-AE16-F6F6DDC7FE7F.png
    186.4 KB · Views: 243
What are you playing the music through?

If I had to guess... plain old stereo is what you want. Unless you have a home theater receiver in your shop to decide those other ones in surround sound.

-SF

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

What are you playing the music through?

If I had to guess... plain old stereo is what you want. Unless you have a home theater receiver in your shop to decide those other ones in surround sound.

-SF

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Not a plain old radio, it is a Marantz SR6012 with firmware update setup for 7.2.2 using 8 - 3way Dual Electromic Satalites and a Cambridge Soundworks Center with 2 passive 12” Polk subs powered by a Polk 500 watt LFE amp and 2 active 100 watt Boston Accoustic subs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashful
I use a plane old radio on one of the local FM stations
after all it is just back ground noise . When and if you can
hear it over the machines .

I like listening to random music.

I have 4,000 songs on a USB chip for my car, and my wife has almost 5,000 in hers. I just listen to the songs in alphabetical order so it jumps around genres.

My wife came home from work one day and said she just heard "In the Mood" by the Glen Miller Orchestra followed by "In the Navy" by The Village People.

Reactions: Ashful
I have a wind up FM radio tuned to the local NPR station. I have to recrank it every 45 minutes or so.

Reactions: begreen
Stereo connected to a Google Chromecast Audio streaming from Google Play or Youtube Music on my phone -- all via Wi-Fi.
In the shop, the selection of music and the ease of use is more important than sound quality.
My audiophile side only really comes out when I put on the headphones.

only 4 and 5000 songs.. drip in the bucket compared to my collection. Used to be a DJ years ago and never cleared off the laptop think i was up over 30

Not a plain old radio, it is a Marantz SR6012 with firmware update setup for 7.2.2 using 8 - 3way Dual Electromic Satalites and a Cambridge Soundworks Center with 2 passive 12” Polk subs powered by a Polk 500 watt LFE amp and 2 active 100 watt Boston Accoustic subs.

Your "Radio" may have cost more than my shop.

Reactions: My_3_Girls
I just use my Logitech 2.1 speakers since I have a laptop in my garage.
Wow, I bet that sounds great!
Do you run YouTube music vids on it?
My old workshop laptop is a little sluggish for that.

I'm making too much noise usually if I am working in the shop. A basic FM radio tuned to our awesome NPR/Jazz station (KNKX) is good enough, though I have to stop working if they are talking about something interesting. But that's ok too.

Reactions: Don2222
Best music in a shop: Lou Reed, Todd Rundgren, Santana (before 1980), Steve Miller (before 1975), Frank Zappa (before 1980), John McLauglin's Mahavishnu Orchestra, Beethoven, Grieg. Or just plain and simple NPR. Oops, I forgot The Allman Brothers Band.

Best music in a shop: Lou Reed, Todd Rundgren, Santana (before 1980), Steve Miller (before 1975), Frank Zappa (before 1980), John McLauglin's Mahavishnu Orchestra, Beethoven, Grieg. Or just plain and simple NPR. Oops, I forgot The Allman Brothers Band.
Yes they are good and also our local favorite LaDonna Adrian Gaines, one of my workers went to 11th grade in Dorchester MA in 1966 and sat behind her younger sister Mary Gaines who toured with her. :)
She is the Queen of Disco :) with 230 million records sold worldwide.

Attachments

• 0F29B130-C4D6-4F8A-961E-B7A1E20577C9.png
    0F29B130-C4D6-4F8A-961E-B7A1E20577C9.png
    420 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
89.9FM, WERU.org, community radio Orland ME.
Hi
I can Tune that in In will my Marantz Internet TuneIn app. Why does it say Blue Hill, ME ??
What kind of music do they play?
The song I hear right now Sounds like Cajun, Jamaican or Jazz or Calypso or Reggae??

Attachments

• EF014523-91CB-44F6-9272-95187FD2F178.png
    EF014523-91CB-44F6-9272-95187FD2F178.png
    259.8 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
I'm making too much noise usually if I am working in the shop. A basic FM radio tuned to our awesome NPR/Jazz station (KNKX) is good enough, though I have to stop working if they are talking about something interesting. But that's ok too.
JAZZ24 KNKX-HD2 way to go BEGreen :)

Attachments

• 68AF753D-0377-4BC4-BBA4-8272CDBDD3BC.png
    68AF753D-0377-4BC4-BBA4-8272CDBDD3BC.png
    353.6 KB · Views: 227
  • A369626D-9629-46DD-9FD9-C1A84A021A24.png
    A369626D-9629-46DD-9FD9-C1A84A021A24.png
    256 KB · Views: 234
Hi
I can Tune that in In will my Marantz Internet TuneIn app. Why does it say Blue Hill, ME ??
What kind of music do they play?
The song I hear right now Sounds like Cajun, Jamaican or Jazz or Calypso or Reggae??
The tower is on Blue Hill.
Wide variety of music, today real good blues on from 2pm - 4pm

I work in a loud shop every day, the only thing I can possibly use to actually hear what I'm listening to would be noise canceling headphones. Nothing fancy, just cheapos that connect to my phone via blue tooth, then I just use either Spotify from that or Google Podcasts....Lately been listening to more podcasts than music.