What setting do you run at?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I live in western Washington and we have fairly mild winters averaging for the most part in the 30s and 40s with the occasional teen temperature. I am able to keep my whole house at around 70 degrees by just running it at the lowest setting all day but my stove gets very dirty and produces a ton of ash. Is it more cost effective in general to run it at low 24 hours a day (my stove consumes 1.6 pounds per hour on low) or is it better all around to run it a couple hours at a medium to high temp, and cycle it every couple hours? Still very new to pellet stoves so just curious, thanks.

if its keeping up on a low setting then no reason to turn it up. Just burning more pellet and making your house hotter.