What should I do with this space

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Seadog138

Feb 13, 2022
Marietta, GA
So we just started to finish the basement of our house. We ripped out all of the old drywall for electrical and prepare for spray foam insulation. In the process we uncovered the bricked in area that is the base of our chimney (had no idea the space existed). We have a gas starter in a fireplace above this but the flue is damaged and needs replaced. I've thought of a number of different combinations to work with but I could use some ideas from others. I am more leaning towards a wood burning stove and a gas fireplace above. I don't know what my limitations are with this so any insight would be appreciated.

IMG_3816.jpg IMG_3817.jpg IMG_3820.jpg

Reactions: PAbeech
Keep the wall straight and loose the space it’s not that much. Insulation and seal it up. With a fireplace above you can’t vent a woodstove from there.

You could frame it out for something. Built in storage or a closet.

Reactions: pen
It's an odd space with two brick wing walls. Not sure why that was done. Does the chimney have only one flue in it for the upstairs fireplace or more than one flue? If only one flue, then this is just an odd niche. I was wondering if it could remain uninsulated there and used as a small root cellar for storing garden goods with an insulated door on front.

Chimney has only 1 flue with plenty of room for a 2nd. Right above the brick line shown it becomes concrete siding. Is it possible to run a flue around the fireplace above? Would the gas line, being where it is, prevent a wood burning stove or fireplace? I am thinking adding a mini split HVAC there may be less headache and less expensive.

An alcove of masonry walls in a basement is a recipe for hating whatever wood stove you put there. You can mitigate the issues by insulating the walls and floor as much as possible, but it will still be a basement install in an alcove- very challenging to heat from.