What size liner????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jgcable

Hearth Supporter
Jan 24, 2010
Milford, CT
OK, I thought I had it nailed down. My masonary chimney is 28' from fireplace floor to the top of the chimney. My Earth Stove Pellet Stove insert owners manual says I need to line the entire chimney. The outlet on the stove is 3".
I talked to several supply houses online and I have no problem ordering a 30' length of 3" flexible liner from any of them. The material is Stainless Steel 304.
Just now.. I talked to a guy who used to install liners and who now is a supplier only. He told me that they don't know what they are talking about and that I need a 4" Stainless Steel 316TI liner because you can't go over 15' with a 3" flexible liner because it won't draft properly.

Now I am totally confused.

Is there a standard formula to determine the size and material needed for a pellet stove insert in a masonary chimney?

Did you check the owners manual? A lot of stoves need to go to 4" liners depending on how long the run is

Franks said:
Did you check the owners manual? A lot of stoves need to go to 4" liners depending on how long the run is

It seams this guy is correct. My manual states I can use 3" up to 25'-26' and 4" on anything over that. My total length is 27'.

My elevation in my town of Milford, CT is only 63' above sea level. I live on the coast.

I just don't think 4" flexpipe is going to fit past my open dampner which basically splits my flue in 2 when it is open.

According to the guy I am speaking to 4" will fit no problem. He said that my dampner set up is very common.

He also suggested a terra-cota top plate that will fasten to the flue with set screws. He said I don't need a vent cap because I can put my existing rectangular rain cap back on which covers both of my flues.

jgcable said:
....Just now.. I talked to a guy who used to install liners and who now is a supplier only. He told me that they don't know what they are talking about and that I need a 4" Stainless Steel 316TI liner because you can't go over 15' with a 3" flexible liner because it won't draft properly. ...........
AFAIK, there isn't a "formula" for liners like there is for rigid pipe installs (EVL). However, given the fact that the pipe will have to make at least a few bends (90 T out of the stove, some bends as it goes through fireplace damper area, etc), PLUS the length of 28', I'd get the 3" to 4" stove adapter, and run the 4" all the way to the top of the chimney. That way, you know you won't have a draft issue.

Remove the damper.

macman a vent is a vent the same rules apply.

jgcable the fellow that told you to go with 4" (as well as Franks and macman) is making allowances for some bends that usually occur when using flexible liners and is on the correct side of things.

Thanks. My stove outlet is straight up so there are no T's. There is only a slight bend up the chimney. 4" certainly seems like the better choice. I want to do this job once and do it right.
This forum rocks. I am so happy I became a member.

jgcable said:
Thanks. My stove outlet is straight up so there are no T's. There is only a slight bend up the chimney. 4" certainly seems like the better choice. I want to do this job once and do it right.
This forum rocks. I am so happy I became a member.

There are frequently slight bends in a flue (especially in a multiple flue chimney) and since it exits straight up and straight down you usually wind up with two bends in the liner up inside the flue and usually one where the liner gets connected to the piping from the stove.

4" is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.