What temperature meters/ where to place them for Vermont Castings Defiant Encore 2190

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Slim51

Aug 30, 2020
New vineyard, ME
Im finishing up rebuilding this stove. Ive never used one of these and have never run a stove using a thermometer but i keep seeing some of you guys mention temp readings from the cat, stove pipe, stove top, etc. A stove pipe thermometer would be very difficult for me to place, I will only have 14-16" or so of exposed pipe (rear exit straight into chimney). But a stove top thermometer and cat temp meter are do able. For a cat temp meter- what am i looking for, and where do i want the probe? any other tips or info on this stove will be very welcomed! thanks