What would you do? Hopeful Warranty Claim - Regency I3100 Replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

davidmsem

Minister of Fire
Oct 30, 2014
New haven, Connecticut
I'm hopeful that Regency will replace my I3100 that is developing cracks around the door.

IF the warranty in honored, I'm told by my local deal that they would replace it with an I2450, as the I3100 is no longer manufactured (wonder if it is because of the large number of claims regarding cracks in the same area as my unit, but a separate subject).

Even though the I2450 is much smaller (holds an 18" max width log versus 21"), and less BTU, I believe I would have to accept this as the cracks continue to propagate and are approaching the seal of the door. Additionally I would have to pay for the labor to remove the old unit and install a new unit.

Keep in mind I have MANY logs cut over 18" in length (probably 14 cord cut assuming the I3100 would last many years, so if I go the replacement route I have a great deal of work RECUTTING cords and cords of firewood. UGH.

Any thoughts on what people would do? It seems smart to get a new unit if Regency stands behind the 7 year old unit as the cracks will continue to propagate. There is supposed to be a lifetime warranty on the unit.

Thanks.

David

I don't think the F2450 is a much smaller stove, it just has a different firebox configuration. The 2450's firebox is not as wide as the 3100, but it is a full 4" deeper. If the warranty is not honored then the crack propagation can be stopped and repaired, perhaps for less than the labor cost for the new stove installation.

Agree that cutting the wood down will be a pita. Would the larger F3500 be an option?

Reactions: brickie
I don't think the F2450 is a much smaller stove, it just has a different firebox configuration. The 2450's firebox is not as wide as the 3100, but it is a full 4" deeper. If the warranty is not honored then the crack propagation can be stopped and repaired, perhaps for less than the labor cost for the new stove installation.

Agree that cutting the wood down will be a pita. Would the larger F3500 be an option?
I'm not sure if the f-3500 would be an option. Going to have to pull the unit out and see how much room I have. It was a pretty big fireplace.

The killer is the with being 18-in versus 21-in. I've cut tons of firewood around 19 in wide. That is just unreal.

Some people get refunds from Regency which would allow me at least to purchase a unit with a similar 21-in wide firebox.

No doubt it looks like the 3100 was well received and liked, but there are just so many images of the cracks in the exact same location that something went wrong with these units. I run my fan on high when the fire is coming up to pull heat out of the box and into the room.

More nervous right now than anything. It's an expense I did not anticipate and I'm hoping Regency will stand behind their product. I am the original owner of it and only got seven seasons out of it. That does not seem like much.

Thank you

I'm not sure if the f-3500 would be an option. Going to have to pull the unit out and see how much room I have. It was a pretty big fireplace.

The killer is the with being 18-in versus 21-in. I've cut tons of firewood around 19 in wide. That is just unreal.

Some people get refunds from Regency which would allow me at least to purchase a unit with a similar 21-in wide firebox.

No doubt it looks like the 3100 was well received and liked, but there are just so many images of the cracks in the exact same location that something went wrong with these units. I run my fan on high when the fire is coming up to pull heat out of the box and into the room.

More nervous right now than anything. It's an expense I did not anticipate and I'm hoping Regency will stand behind their product. I am the original owner of it and only got seven seasons out of it. That does not seem like much.

Thank you
I don't recall seeing a ton of images of this stove with cracks and certainly not a lot more than other steel stoves. Remember, people post here because they have an issue. One never hears of the thousands in service that people are happy with. If you like the stove then spending $150 to get it repaired sounds like a good investment. Some stove parts like baffle boards or cats cost more than that.

I don't recall seeing a ton of images of this stove with cracks and certainly not a lot more than other steel stoves. Remember, people post here because they have an issue. One never hears of the thousands in service that people are happy with. If you like the stove then spending $150 to get it repaired sounds like a good investment. Some stove parts like baffle boards or cats cost more than that.

Tons is a qualitative term. But there are lots of images out there that are easy to find of cracks in the exact same location. I just wonder if this is why the unit is no longer manufactured.

I have no idea who would even do such a repair. And how long it would hold up.

Just as information. Spoke with two welders who would not do this. They've had experience many times and say it does not last. I'm really hoping Regency is going to stand behind the product.

I would try for a cash refund and purchase a new EPA unit and apply the 26% tax credit.
It's interesting the range of responses reported from Regency. Some people getting their cash back because the 3100 is not longer available. My dealer has told me there's no way people get their cash back. It's going to be interesting to see where this ends up. Good suggestion though and I appreciate the 26% tax credit information didn't know about that. I do worry about the catalytic converters when they go what you do with the unit what expenses are involved etc. And I'm even more nervous now that a basic unit did not function more than 7 years.

There quite a few are tax-credit eligible stoves that are not cat stoves, so no need to worry if you want a non-cat.

(On the other hand, if the cat "goes", you just put in a new cat. No need to change "the unit".)

Reactions: davidmsem