whats is your fav log tongs?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've only had a set of tongs (the scissor type) for about 6 years, and in that time, I bet I have only used them 3 or 4 times.

If the fire has progressed so that the wood is charred well, you run the risk of getting showered in coals if you go about trying to move a log around.

The only time I really move a log about is very early in the fire, if something shifts on me. Since things generally aren't fully engulfed and coaling up yet, I just grab a hold of what needs to be moved with the heavy welding gloves on and make the adjustment.

In general, it's best to not play with the fire once established. Simply find a good method for loading that your stove likes, and let it ride.

That said, it doesn't hurt to have a set around in case something ever happened and you were forced to remove burning logs from a fire. However, there is great danger in that practice (when carrying burning logs through a home). It's a good idea to keep a bucket of sand handy and smother the fire, rather than trying to remove it from the stove.

pen

I just put my tongs in the garage.......never used them and they amount to clutter in my living room. Being that a modern insert or stove is airtight barring any complete critical malfunction I see no need for them. For a quick reposition of a burning log I use my welding gloves.....I would not carry a burning log through my house for any distance......f that......If something went seriously wrong I would douse with a bucket of water...........deal with cleanup later.....house would not burn down though

I don't use tongs in the stove, just a poker, but for handling firewood outside I use ice tongs

IM001436.JPG

and for the bigger stuff

P11-04-11_15.14.jpg

Log tongs.jpg

I got 1 of them things too. Reminds me of the early 70's and a big old bomber with some seeds still in it. But back then them mexicans wernt so picky bout the dope they sent up here.

Status
Not open for further replies.