When do you buy your bulk pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If you have the ability to store in bulk so that you can appropriately time your purchases and if you have a stove that can handle lower quality big box pellets (along with the patience for the extra maintenance), you should have no problem buying for less than $200/ton delivered. You have to be persistent and look often, but I've been able to work out a few deals with the local store and with corporate, sometimes both, that have worked for me. I've purchased in the fall and late Spring; if you are able to be flexible with timing and quality, you will have no problem saving money.

A lot of people on here will say you can't do it for these prices ("not in my location"), but they are wrong. You have to spend the time looking for the deals on black friday or stores trying to deplete stock or whatever random local deals, it's never going to be the same. Prices sometimes change on the big box web sites, typically at the end of the year as they try to deplete. Some years are different than others so it's great if you can hold multiple years to time the bulk buys for a year when inventory is high (warm winters).

Or just move to the West coast where you can get DF's for less than $200/ton...East coast pellet heads don't have it as nice and have to search for deals. Good luck and reach out if you need more help.

Typically buy 5 tons from Lowes around this time for next year. Like to stay a year ahead on them and prefer to move them in cooler temps. Grab some Lowes coupons off ebay and comes to $200/ton

Reactions: the pony boy
I typically buy mine in August. Could be between two and four tons. I buy them locally from the store that I bought the stove from. Yes they are a bit more expensive ($275 / ton) but they are Hamers. I have the guy throw a hand truck on his truck so I can put them right in my garage. Safe, warm and dry.

Also buy in spring.cheaper early buy promotions. Delivery in the fall. Been doing that way for years.usually save 30 to 40 dollars a ton.
dealer get's the up front money and buys the product early...

Last edited:
Look at you..you are around the corner from us haha
So where would you suggest to shop?

Well, you life kind of close where we do, so i was wondering if you could suggest stores...

August/September is best, according to my stove dealer. Prices are at their height at this time of year and about $100 less, then. If we buy three tons when the price is lowest, he can give us a partial delivery, because we don't have room for 3 tons in the garage.

I've been using Tractor Supply pellets last 2 years and work well in my Harman. They have an early buy in program late summer ...$25 off a ton I think.. never done it though

August/September is best, according to my stove dealer.
Prices are at their height at this time of year and about $100 less, then.

$100 less? is that on your whole order, or one ton??
If it's one ton, your guy is charging a lot this time of year...
I don't know how you can slice 100 bucks off a ton,
unless the higher price is absurd..

Dan

I quit buying bulk. I don't get a price break with the pellets I buy, so I just pick up 25 bags at a pop every several weeks. They have a steady supply, and around someone always has them. During shoulder season I may get 30.

I got tired of storing them and then having to dispose of the pallets.

So I kinda got burned but it ended with a happy story. I went to go get pellets from my local Super One grocery store- they carry the Idaho Supreme Premium fir pellets I like. Been burning them for 5 years or so.

Sold. Out.

Went to Lowes.

Sold Out.

Went to Home Despot

Sold Out.

There was an avalanche that closed I-90 in Idaho and no trucks are making it over. Yikes.

So I go to a local farm and ranch store- Murdoch's. They had some Rocky Canyon Red Fire pellets. Never heard of them but I bought a ton on the spot. $256 which is SPENDY.

But boy oh boy is that some fantastic fuel!! It's been -10 without wind chill and those suckers rock the house! Very little ash, one hell of a great smell and super tight bagging. Pellets are all uniform and long and just burn HOT.

So I'm buying more of this. Maybe another 2 tons, lol.

Oh boy, if i would get my hands on a ton for just 256 i would buy his hole store...smile...
Happy to hear...will check if those pellets are here as well...but here most of them are Appalachian ones...

256 a ton is a great price
I best I can do is 289 plus the Grab and Screw Tax

Last edited:
How in the world do u screw tax?
But i assume NJ is just expensive no matter where you look...
Unfortunate you dont earn as much more then other places...hahaah
Or i do something wrong...

Grab and screw tax AKA GST
General sales tax In Ontario 6% Federal Tax 7 % Provencal Tax
Nobody likes it but it on everything you buy except food (prepare at home )