Where does the Baffle/smoke deflector go in a 1986 Country Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SmokyMan

Dec 11, 2022
Silverado
So I have a 1986 Wood Stove by country. I have two questions.
1. I cleaned the stove and flue completely and afterwards I didn't remember where the baffle/smoke deflector (I'll call it a baffle for ease of reference) goes. If you look at the picture it can slide all the way to the back for be placed in the middle. All the way to back would completely cover where the smoke goes up the pipe that connects to the flue. I know it's not supposed to be located completely forward. So--should it be all the way back--if where? In the middle--more towards the back?--how many inches do I leave in the back (see pictures).
2. The cleaning was due to a backdraft that I THOUGHT was being caused by a dirty flue. However, after the cleaning, the backdraft remained. The flue goes pretty high--above the second floor but since the pipe from the stove angles twice you can clean the flue from the bottom by just pushing the flue cleaner up the pipe connecting rods until you get to the top. My "guess" is there must be a clog at the top--see the picture for what the top looks like--I am not sure what that is, it looks like some sort of filter at the top. So I guess I need to get on the roof and check that?

Baffle.jpg Woodstove.jpg Cover.jpg

It's hard to tell from the shot. Can you post a picture of the inside top of the firebox as viewed straight-on from the front?

Looks like the cap may need removal and cleaning. The screen looks dirty.

I think it goes all the way to the back wall. You should be able to see the clean area it was against? It should cover the exhaust vent, but be low enough that the square inch area for exhaust flow is no smaller than the square inch area of stove outlet.

Ok so I went up on the roof and the filter was completely clogged so that was the draft problem.
Here is a picture from the front showing the baffle which I have it about 2 inches from the back although hard to see the contrast. It runs vertically across the top of the bricks its about 4 or 5 inches and can slide all the way to the rear or all the way to the front or somewhere in the middle with a few inches on each side.

Hearth.jpg

just guessing but the first few photo's of the inside looks like the baffle should be turned around so the drop goes in the back. the is a clean spot on the bricks

Reactions: 1kzwoman