Where to store my freshly split wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

la boucheron

I have two places- newly constructed wood shed or the garage. In the garage I can stack about 3-4 chords and about the same in the shed. Should I be worried that the wood wont dry or begin to grow some nasty fungus if I store it in the garage too wet? Thanks.

I'm assuming the wood was recently cut as well but both places are undesirable for freshly split wood. Assuming your wood shed is open (three sides or less) I'd take the wood shed. You'll need lots of ventilation if it's freshly cut & split. If it doesn't get some air movement it'll grow moldy and never dry.

Catskill said:
I'm assuming the wood was recently cut as well but both places are undesirable for freshly split wood. Assuming your wood shed is open (three sides or less) I'd take the wood shed. You'll need lots of ventilation if it's freshly cut & split. If it doesn't get some air movement it'll grow moldy and never dry.

Unfortunately, the Cat is right. Maybe it doesn`t have to be sun dried, but it sure needs to be air dried. I used to be one of those (straight into the woodshed guys). not anymore, the newer epa stoves and inserts absoutley demand dry wood to function properly. Long rows in the sun and wind is best. Your other 2 previous options equal mould and mildew and a crappy burn. :down:

Speaking from experience, don't stack freshly split wood in the garage. It won't season very well or quickly. I'm not one of the folks who say never put wood in your garage because ants will immediately be eating your sills. Now I put my splits in the garage after seasoning to keep the snow off and for asy access to the house. But I season outside on pallets.

Status
Not open for further replies.