Which pellet stove brands are the highest quality and most reliable? - Thanks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

teeravis1

Hi everyone,
I'm guessing you may get this question quite often, but in scanning through the threads I didn't see one that answered my question in whole, I'm not saying I didn't just miss it, that is definitely possible. I have been reading all over the internet on pellet stoves and the more I look the more I'm not sure because I keep finding more pellet stove brands. My initial thought from what I have found is that Harman and Quadrafire are the cadillac's of pellet stoves. However, I hate to rule out the others I am finding because I am finding good reviews and opinions on them also, just not as many. So here is the list of brands I have, could everyone please tell me about their experience with any of the brands, or experience of a friends, or just something you heard or noticed about them, and let me know which brands you think are best. I realize I am asking for opinions, but that is what I need, so please tell me the good and the bad - Thanks, here is my list of brands:

Harman, Quadrafire, Breckwell, Whitfield, Lopi, St. Croix, Bio-King, Englander, Summmers Heat, Timberstone, Avalon, Jamestown, Boscal, Magnum, Country Flame, Thelin, Enviro, Pelpro, Country Stoves, Reliant, Kozi, Rika,

I'm not sure if you want the Cadillac of Pellet Stoves. I would be looking for the Lexus comparison.

All kidding aside I've burned 40,000 lbs of pellets in my Harman P 68, without ANY problems, and very little maintenance.

Can simplify things a little bit for you.
Lopi and Avalon are basically the same company. Travis Industry makes them both.
Had good luck with a Lopi for 5 plus years. Now own a Harmen for a little over a year. Harmen is a better stove all around...but was happy with the Lopi till i got the Harmen.
So as you can see I am really no help.

Come on now guys, I know there is a wealth of info around this forum, throw me your opinions on the brands........please! :)

Thanks to those who have replied, even if you were no help! :cheese:

About 25% of the threads on this board touch on this topic. Sorry, there is no answer to your question at this time. Consumer reports has not picked up scientific testing on pellet stoves, and consumer reviews on long term stove reliability have not really been tallied up into a single location. What you'll get on here is personal experience and opinion.

I will say that without a doubt st croix and harman are the best stoves made period. Specifically the Hastings and P61A.
Of course those are the only two i've ever owned :)

You've got to narrow down your requirements a bit before anyone on here will be able to help you much.

I don't know if there is a "best". There might be a "best for you" though.

If you are a DIYer, then look at the big box stores and buy something like an Englander. Save yourself some money over dealer brands.

If you want someone else to install and service it, find a good dealer in your area. Then choose from what they offer. In this case, it is the dealer that will make or break your pellet experience.

Cheers

kenny

Have you tried the forum search? I'll be willing to bet there's
at least a half dozen or more threads already containing that
question with answers for you to ponder...Read a little bit and you will
be able to form you own opinion. I love my St Croix, but it's
not like I've owned ten different pellet stoves to compare it to.
The next person loves their Englander, or Enviro, or Quad, or Harman, or Lopi...
you get the idea.

Sometimes the best is what you can get because the higher quality product is cost prohibitive!

It is all relative.
I don't want to knock any brands, its a personal preference and it all depends on your budget too.
I bought my Rika Integra because I liked the features of the stove, liked the look, design and capabilities.
Did my research, looked around at a couple of dealers and made my purchase.
Sounds simple but you will have to do some homework on your own to find something you feel comfortable with.
You came to the right place to find a lot of valuable information form a lot of bulletin members.

I think the Summers Heat is a lot better pellet stove than the Englander.

i am respectfully recusing myself as i build a brand mentioned (i know im wimping out) i will say that most every brand mentioned in the poster's list are represented in here by an owner and i think you will find most will be liked by the owner.

shop for what YOU like, features, service model (depending on if you are DIY type or want an in home service contract, this is a big deal, know what you want in this category first) then go from there with the look, options and size you are in the market for.

pelletfan said:
It is all relative.
I don't want to knock any brands, its a personal preference and it all depends on your budget too.
I bought my Rika Integra because I liked the features of the stove, liked the look, design and capabilities.
Did my research, looked around at a couple of dealers and made my purchase.
Sounds simple but you will have to do some homework on your own to find something you feel comfortable with.
You came to the right place to find a lot of valuable information form a lot of bulletin members.

BTW that RIKA is a "BAD AZZED" looking stove, i love that modern look. real sharp looking product!

thank you

BTW that RIKA is a “BAD AZZED” looking stove, i love that modern look. real sharp looking product!

Why don't you copy the idea from across the pond (just not the price), as you have already a great product. And especially I do like your support, which is missing on so many stoves.

pelletfan said:
thank you

BTW that RIKA is a “BAD AZZED” looking stove, i love that modern look. real sharp looking product!

Why don't you copy the idea from across the pond (just not the price), as you have already a great product. And especially I do like your support, which is missing on so many stoves.

i surely would love to field a unit with the "modern: look like scan and the rika you have give. i think it would be a hit. as for the support thing , i do this because i like to. its nice when you can have a hobby that dovetails in with your career like ive found in here. especially when you are nicely received by the members and can learn from them as much as i have. its a win/win situation.

I like my Breckwell Big E because of the amount of heat it puts out and the amount of pellets it holds , and lots of options as far as heat settings go . It was also priced in my budget range .

I do like the customer service that Englander has . Mike Holton is always on here helping people with their problems and questions.And he does not talk trash on other companies stoves .

Dont look for reviews of the Napoleon stove (NPS-40) cuz nobody has one. Myself and about 3 others have them on order (mine came in already...going to pick it up next week...yeee haah! I'll let everyone know how it goes.

don't forget to factor in the value of service . a great stove is not so great if you can't get prompt and reliable repairs or get parts . so when choosing a stove the dealers reputation may be just as important as the stove itself.

I'm getting here a little bit off topic but ......
a message from a "burning Chunk" for stoveguy2esw a so called "Pyro Extraordinaire"

i surely would love to field a unit with the “modern: look like scan and the rika you have give. i think it would be a hit
Absolutely no problem with that, there is only one condition.
You have to schedule it more towards end of the season, when cleaning of the stove is happening. As a greenhorn I would feel much better when a seasoned pro watches over my shoulders. So in case something goes wrong I have a helping hand.

Hey guys,

I have done a lot of reading on pellet stoves, I have every brand I noted in the beginning with their web page book marked on my computer along with some I didn't mention. And yes I know summers heat, englander, and timberridge are all made by england stove works. I have been researching the pellet stoves for about 6 months, but was looking for some opinions now from some actual owners of the stoves. I do have a few friends with pellet stoves, but they have only had them a few years if that, so I am looking for some long term reviews (as long as possible anyway). So a little more info about what I have. I have a two story house, 1200 sq ft a floor, so with the basement 3600 all together. The stoves I am leaning towards are the Quadrafire Mt Vernon AE, or the Harman P68. However, I would like any feed back on the Breckwell Big E anyone could give. Also on the St Croix stoves on their website they don't list the BTU their stoves put out or the sq ft they can heat, can anyone tell me this info on the Hastings, Prescott EXP, & Prescott EXL? My plan is to put the stove in my basement, cut a vent in my main cold air return of my ductwork near the stove, and run the blower of my forced air furnace on low to circulate the heat thru the house. My thought is with the natural heat rise and the circulation of heat thru the duct work I will be able to heat the house. I have a buddy that did this with his ranch style house and it works great, not sure exactly how well it will work with a two story house...............Man I'm out of breath. So any thoughts or info on the stoves I mentioned or opinions on how my plan is going to work or not work would be much appreciated.- Thanks for all the replies so far, I'll be waiting to hear your thoughts - Thanks again.

there are a few "pellet furnaces" out there as well. Harman makes one , and i believe eric from Kinsman stoves is bringing in some Farenheit technologies pellet furnaces as well. they would direct connect to the ductwork and supply heat in place of the regular fuel the furnace burns. you might look intyo those as well. BTW the big E is a solid unit for a lower cost as long as you arent as interested in the looks. its a heater , not a centerpiece, but it does what its made to do. or you might look at our 25-PUF which ic essentially the same type unit as the big-e but with a larger hopper.

Status
Not open for further replies.