Which stove to buy? LONG posting with PICS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnin Up

Mar 4, 2011
SE PA
Long Time Lurker (2yrs) coming out to seek some help/opinions/advice on buying a stove.
I already have a couple of cords of wood on order. I am saving for the stove and hope to be able to move on that in the summer.

I have a small home 1200-1300 sq ft. single story ranch built in 1961, so not so good insulation in the walls. I did bump up the insulation in the attic to R50. Ok here is the deal, I have an oil boiler with hot water radiators. The past several winters, I have seen several power outages that have lasted longer then 24 hours. Many nights spent trying to sleep but freezing cold and worried about my pipes freezing. So it is time for a wood stove for emergency backup. I want a stove to provide supplemental heat, nights and weekends, I do not think that I am ready to get rid of my oil burner just yet. It would also be nice to have the ability to cook on it in emergency situations and at least the potential promise of an overnight burn. I want it all and am seeking advice so I can determine where I need to make compromises to make this work.

Attached is a pic of the floor plan (not to spec). I have very few options on were to put this thing as the house is already WAY small. I have a narrow space between the dining room and the kitchen were there is a room divider now/ I am thinking about this space. See the Red Square on the pic. I am thinking that the stove could go here facing the hallway and bedrooms. It is relatively the center of the house with a large access way to the living room nearby. The space that I have is 30 inches (where the chairs are in other pics) by 48 inches (length of room divider) The dining room has a large 8ft sliding glass door, that I am concerned about losing heat to with a radiant stove. Any thoughts on placement?

I have been researching several stoves more or less in the following order.

Jotul Black Bear 118 (radiant) - I like the look of this stove and the dual function (heat/cooking) I like that it is long and narrow and would probably fit the space really well. BUT it was placed on the bottom of the list, because it does not have great reviews and might be too much stove for the space.

Alderlea T4/T5 (Radiant/Convective) Like dual function of heating/cooking. Nice that there is an optional blower attachment. Really like the looks of the enamel T5, but it may be too much stove for me. Can you cook on enamel? I like the close clearances, but not the "boxy" look. I may not have the space for the T5 thus the non enamel T4 is second choice in this line.

Jotul F3 CB or Castine - darn cute stove the F3, would fit really nicely, I think. Drawbacks seem to be wood size, frequent feeding of the stove, no long burn, no overnight potential. The Castine or F400 would have less frequent loading, possibly some overnight potential? Can I cook on these stoves in emergency?

Morso 8150 and 8151 - both soapstone models that should help retain heat longer in small homes - right? THe downside is really small wood size and firebox meaning really frequent loading and no long burns or overnight potential. I like that the 8150 is somewhat elevated, that should help with my aging back.

Whatever stove is picked it should be able to elevated (raised hearth) or pedestal like to Morso.

So as you can see, aesthetically some choices of the stoves are traditional some are contemporary. I like many styles but am more concerned "right sizing" the stove for my small space.

All advise welcome....bring it on!!!!

Thanks for reading this long posting!!!!

Attachments

• Dining Room.jpg
    Dining Room.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 652
  • Divider.jpg
    Divider.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 651
  • Floor Plan.jpg
    Floor Plan.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 662
Welcome to the forum Burnin Up

My T4 as supplemental heat in my 1000 sq ft townhouse is adequate, but I'm in a mild climate. I would NOT recommend this stove for you, a T5 would be the way to go. Also, the cook surface is underneath the swing out trivets (no enamel there, I think). Can't speak for the other stoves, but there will be others along soon to help out.

Woodstock Keystone or Palladian are perfect for a smallish home. You can dial them down for a long low heat output for 8-12 hours and still have a good coal bed for reloads and they also pack a punch if you need it.

Another vote for the T5. It will give you a good burning range and has close clearances. The stove will run fine on 3 splits for milder weather burning. When it gets cold, you will be filling that baby up and cranking it. Might be worth looking at the woodstocks too.

check out some of the small & medium stoves here & here

Welcome to the forums, Burning Up. I think you came to the right place for help :)

I'll leave the stove suggestions to the others, but I do have a thought/suggestion. What if you take out the divider? Stove could go "flusher" against the stairwall with heat shields, your building a hearth already, and you would increase air circulation by removing said divider.

That's my first take on the situation :)

Any of these would work, and have close installation clearances.

Pacific Energy T5 http://pacificenergy.net/alderlea/t5.php
5" rear clearance to combustables if using double wall pipe.
Burns overnight.

Pacific Energy Spectrum http://pacificenergy.net/pacificenergy/spectrum_classic.php
5" rear clearance to combustables if using double wall pipe.
Burns overnight.

Drolet Jussaien http://www.drolet.ca/en/products/wood/jurassien-epa
7" rear clearance to combustables if using double wall pipe.
Won't burn overnight.

and welcome to my world; but also has to be "wife approved". :) Ours is older, 1919, but similar floor plan. We (she) are STILL deciding on the "right one" The choices are narrowed down to :

Jotul - Olso (F-500) and the TL-50 (Rangley)
Pacific Energy - Alderlea T-5

(changes to be made without notice and the tidal conditions :sick: )

I would stick it in the corner in the living room; between the kitchen wall and the garage for FEW reasons :

1) The most heat loss would be on the garage wall side

2) You can easily use a fan to move the COLD air from the bedrooms to the living room and have more of an equal temperature throughout the house, than just sticking it in the corner in the dining room

3) the dining room would become over-heated; not much open space in a 130sq' area

4) a taller chimney = better drafting. Even though you have it in the dinner room, maybe a couple of extra feet of pipe may help what ever stove you choose.

I can see a problem with dragging wood through the living room all the time and making a mess. Do you have enough space in the dinning room to keep a few days worth of wood there; or maybe in the garage?

Also, do you have a second story that needs heat, or is the stairwell in the kitchen going into the basement?

Creature said:
Welcome to the forum Burnin Up

My T4 as supplemental heat in my 1000 sq ft townhouse is adequate, but I'm in a mild climate. I would NOT recommend this stove for you, a T5 would be the way to go. Also, the cook surface is underneath the swing out trivets (no enamel there, I think). Can't speak for the other stoves, but there will be others along soon to help out.

Thanks Creature, good to know. I kinda thought that the T5 was more appropriately sized for the space.

Todd said:
Woodstock Keystone or Palladian are perfect for a smallish home. You can dial them down for a long low heat output for 8-12 hours and still have a good coal bed for reloads and they also pack a punch if you need it.

I looked at both of those stoves for the long heat storage BUT alas, they have clearance requirements that I cannot meet. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
Welcome to the forums, Burning Up. I think you came to the right place for help :)

I'll leave the stove suggestions to the others, but I do have a thought/suggestion. What if you take out the divider? Stove could go "flusher" against the stairwall with heat shields, your building a hearth already, and you would increase air circulation by removing said divider.

That's my first take on the situation :)

Thanks for responding "Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle"
Speaking of "flusher" against the stairwall.....
I too was wondering if I should take out that divider, which would give me more space to work with. If I do that I could also change the stoves orientation and have the stovepipe backup against the staircase to the basement. That way you would not be walking too close to it while going from the dining room to the kitchen. So picture it, the stove would be facing where I was standing when I took the pictures (standing up against sliding glass doors. Just a thought....one of many.

Status
Not open for further replies.