while watching a uv flashlight video guy showed a UV pen ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jeanw

Feeling the Heat
Sep 23, 2008
ky
would it really sterilize say a qt of water... say that was collected from the sky and stored for a few days...thats what we give the feather girls..
Im concerned that it may develop bacteria etc after a day or so in a drywall bucket..

the video was for the Nitecor brand

what yall think???

did yall catch the brand name etc ???
thanks yall

Haven't tested it, but using a penlight to sterilize 5 gallons of water is somewhere between unlikely and rediculous.

I read on one manufacturer's site that a 32w UV bulb needs 10 seconds at a 6" range to get to LD50, so a penlight would need to run for years to kill everything at the bottom of the bucket. (Not only is it a fraction of the wattage, but the UV exposure decreases on the inverse square with distance, and a 5g bucket is maybe couple feet tall.)

Haven't tested it, but using a penlight to sterilize 5 gallons of water is somewhere between unlikely and rediculous.

I read on one manufacturer's site that a 32w UV bulb needs 10 seconds at a 6" range to get to LD50, so a penlight would need to run for years to kill everything at the bottom of the bucket. (Not only is it a fraction of the wattage, but the UV exposure decreases on the inverse square with distance, and a 5g bucket is maybe couple feet tall.)

so would it kill stuff in say a QUART of water ?
so how does this one YOU mention work? we dont really have room to install an fixed unit next to the 2 Culligan filters for our (from the ground sourced) water..after it enters thru the concrete block wall... Its in such a tight space...IN THIS JURY RIgged house...
If we dont get rain soon will have to start giving them our tap water.. I know one thing, Kitty Kat ,turns his nose up at it.. I would love to know why...
I bought the strong Hydrogen Peroxide. via the WEB...... But supposedly its 11 to one ratio..... DUH...
ANYONE?????
thanks yall

so would it kill stuff in say a QUART of water ?
so how does this one YOU mention work? we dont really have room to install an fixed unit next to the 2 Culligan filters for our (from the ground sourced) water..after it enters thru the concrete block wall... Its in such a tight space...IN THIS JURY RIgged house...
If we dont get rain soon will have to start giving them our tap water.. I know one thing, Kitty Kat ,turns his nose up at it.. I would love to know why...
I bought the strong Hydrogen Peroxide. via the WEB...... But supposedly its 11 to one ratio..... DUH...
ANYONE?????
thanks yall

A penlight may kill some bacteria in a quart, a gallon, or in the ocean. It won't sterilize any of the above.

A 32w is a common 4' flourescent tube wattage. There are UV bulbs designed to emit specific wavelengths for sterilization; no idea if they are actually more effective than consumer blacklight bulbs.

My chickens like tap water from a 5 gallon bucket fine. I don't do anything special aside from washing the bucket once in a while.

A penlight may kill some bacteria in a quart, a gallon, or in the ocean. It won't sterilize any of the above.

A 32w is a common 4' flourescent tube wattage. There are UV bulbs designed to emit specific wavelengths for sterilization; no idea if they are actually more effective than consumer blacklight bulbs.

My chickens like tap water from a 5 gallon bucket fine. I don't do anything special aside from washing the bucket once in a while.
thanks but we filter our water on the countertop with a ss Berkey type unit....
we had it(wtr) tested once, naw twice it wasnt perfect.
the last time it was hard to access so he took it via the short hose coming out of the pump house... which I think had stuff in it cause never reall yNEVER used that short hose...
It does smell sometimes esp the hot wtr.... so I remind him to drain some off once in a while from the wtr heater.I wish he would drain the whole wtr heater when its not a drought weather and or the Hardy is a running...
He did put a swithc in the house to be able to turn off the Hardy today.. instead of going out and taking off the back cover and hitting the gfi button.. that scared me so he started unplugging the elec cord.....
Now just switch it off in the house basement.... Hubby is such a genius most times.. LOL

Last edited: